4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Swapping rear LCAs: Front pivot bolts are a PITA!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 10:35 AM
nagata
1st Gear Member

Question Swapping rear LCAs: Front pivot bolts are a PITA!

I'm working on swapping the stock springs & LCSs for Steeda springs & MM XD LCAs. Already got the front springs in, working on the rear. I can get the rear pivot bolts off after removing the rear disc & shield so I can get at the nut with the impact wrench, but the front pivot bolts are very enclosed. With the car only being on jackstands, I can't get any significant torque on the front pivot bolt nut due to clearance, and the position of the nut doesn't provide access for the impact wrench.

How have others gotten these front pivot bolts off? Impact swivel joint and an extension? Got the car on a lift? Yelled, cussed, and kicked/hammered on a wrench until it broke loose? I might pick up an impact swivel & extension and try that approach, but I'm not sure if that will supply enough torque either, I've never gotten great results with a swivel joint. Anyone have any tricks? I may end up having to take this to a shop...
Old 03-11-2010, 10:58 AM
smythge
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nagata
I'm working on swapping the stock springs & LCSs for Steeda springs & MM XD LCAs. Already got the front springs in, working on the rear. I can get the rear pivot bolts off after removing the rear disc & shield so I can get at the nut with the impact wrench, but the front pivot bolts are very enclosed. With the car only being on jackstands, I can't get any significant torque on the front pivot bolt nut due to clearance, and the position of the nut doesn't provide access for the impact wrench.

How have others gotten these front pivot bolts off? Impact swivel joint and an extension? Got the car on a lift? Yelled, cussed, and kicked/hammered on a wrench until it broke loose? I might pick up an impact swivel & extension and try that approach, but I'm not sure if that will supply enough torque either, I've never gotten great results with a swivel joint. Anyone have any tricks? I may end up having to take this to a shop...
I used an extension with a big breaker bar and a long pipe, the extension was long enough that I was no longer under the car, but next to the fender. I thought the breaker bar was going to snap, but they eventually came lose. The big problem I had was when I tried to remove the bolts they were literally siezed inside the bushing sleeve, I had to cut all the bolts off to remove the arms. I wouldn't want to do that job again.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:02 AM
KLeech
1st Gear Member

so i was definetely not happy to read this thread at all since im planning on installing lca's tomorrow. besides the bolts you had trouble with is it a pretty simple install?
Old 03-11-2010, 11:10 AM
nagata
1st Gear Member

Holy ish smythge! That wasn't quite the response I was hoping for, hahaha. And that was on an 01? My 96 is 5 years older & has quite a bit of underbody corrosion, especially on the rear...Awesome. You had to use a swivel joint on the extension, to get below the edge of the 'box' surrounding the nut, didn't you? I can't see any way to get an extension directly on that nut.

I'm gonna try the impact swivel and extension, it I can't get it, I'm just gonna have a shop do the work. $200-$300 is worth it if I don't have to spend a weekend trying to get a 'simple' swap done. Thanks for sharing your experience!
Old 03-11-2010, 11:35 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Try lowering the catback... it'll give you some more room to access the one side of the bolt
Old 03-11-2010, 11:58 AM
nagata
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Try lowering the catback... it'll give you some more room to access the one side of the bolt
Thanks. I did try getting at that side, the bolt doesn't budge.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:34 PM
smythge
4th Gear Member

Thanks. I did try getting at that side, the bolt doesn't budge.
I got all 4 nuts off but the bolts would not budge I managed to pound 1 bolt out after about 2 hours with a massive hammer no way I would be able to get at the other bolts. I tried a sawzall and manged to cut 1 side on each bolt, but couldn't get past the sleeve on the opposite side I finally ended up using a plasma cutter to cut the metal around the the bushing then used the sawzall again to get the rubber out of the way then went back to the bolt with the plasma cutter. There was no way those bolts were ever going to come out, they were so rusted on the inside of the bushing you couldn't even see the threads. I've changed them on other cars with no problems, I had an 88 that I did last year with no problems I don't know what the deal was with this car.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:48 PM
nagata
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by smythge
I got all 4 nuts off but the bolts would not budge I managed to pound 1 bolt out after about 2 hours with a massive hammer no way I would be able to get at the other bolts. I tried a sawzall and manged to cut 1 side on each bolt, but couldn't get past the sleeve on the opposite side I finally ended up using a plasma cutter to cut the metal around the the bushing then used the sawzall again to get the rubber out of the way then went back to the bolt with the plasma cutter. There was no way those bolts were ever going to come out, they were so rusted on the inside of the bushing you couldn't even see the threads. I've changed them on other cars with no problems, I had an 88 that I did last year with no problems I don't know what the deal was with this car.
Wow...that settles it, I've got a shop that will do the install for between $200 and $300, I'll spend the money not to have to deal with a problem like that, no thanks, even if the labor is a bit high. I hate to pay someone else to do the wrench work, but I don't need the hassle right now and just want the springs & LCAs in. Since you gotta take the springs out with the LCAs, might as well just have the shop do both. Hopefully this will all be done tomorrow. Thanks again guys.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:39 PM
5pointslow91
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smythge
i got the arms off my 5.0 very easily and it was a 91, i will be doing the arms on my 04 this summer and i hope i dont have the probs you guys had, i dont htink it was ever driven in the winter for the low miles it has (besides me this winter lol) so it shouldnt be a prob
Old 03-11-2010, 08:14 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Wow...that settles it, I've got a shop that will do the install for between $200 and $300, I'll spend the money not to have to deal with a problem like that, no thanks, even if the labor is a bit high. I hate to pay someone else to do the wrench work, but I don't need the hassle right now and just want the springs & LCAs in. Since you gotta take the springs out with the LCAs, might as well just have the shop do both. Hopefully this will all be done tomorrow. Thanks again guys.
+1 on this one. I went back and forth about whether I should do all my pending suspension mods. Glad I scheduled an appointment to have someone else deal with the headache. It sucks working on cars on jackstands with no air tools.

Quick Reply: Swapping rear LCAs: Front pivot bolts are a PITA!