4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

CD Player help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 03:59 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

I can sympathize I bought my 01 2 months ago same problem cd player does not work. I think by what I have been reading this is a very common problem. I do think you can go with a aftermarket unit but it can only be a certain type unit in regards to power output along with a special connector. I am going to check with crutchfeild when I replace. Also you can get these units repaired or refurbished.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:20 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by ARicci6792
Damn so id have to basically replace the whole system, amps and all? Thats some bs. Oh well looks like im buying a ****ty fm transmitter for my iPod instead of AUX. Unless the stock unit has an AUX input in the back or something?
wrong, you need a METRA 70-5519 wiring harness and a METRA 99-5026 dash kit, should be available at a local audio store (audio jam etc...) this will allow you to keep the factory amps working and replace just the head unit with a double-din CD player

just read this page it will explain everything.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=96542
Old 03-21-2010, 07:50 PM
ARicci6792
1st Gear Member

Uh im not the best with audio, I just know basic stuff like wiring and stuff like that.
But here is the headunit I have, http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...rs/DEH-P5900IB

Can anyone tell me if id be able to put it in? That way I can go get my $50 back for this damn fm transmitter I just bought that barely works.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:06 PM
bluemonster

My 06 Explorer has the 6 disc and I kept getting an eject error message when I tried to get CD's out too. I finally figured out that to get it out, at least in my case, you had to hit eject, let the error message pop up, then barely insert a CD into the slot and it would come out (assuming there is a CD in the changer). I went to Ford and they just said to replace it of course
Old 03-24-2010, 09:32 PM
GTVAPSAMTIK
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
wrong, you need a METRA 70-5519 wiring harness and a METRA 99-5026 dash kit, should be available at a local audio store (audio jam etc...) this will allow you to keep the factory amps working and replace just the head unit with a double-din CD player

just read this page it will explain everything.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=96542
Does that kit works for factory MACH 460 sound system. I am planning to replace headunit but I was told factory speaks wont work.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:42 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

ok you need two wire harnesses, one that connects the main power supply & amp, which is what you hafta do for just about every car w/ an aftermarket head unit install. the second is for the two amps that run from the trunk. this wire harness will actually change the amp plug to RCA plugs, which you plug into the RCA plugs of you aftermarket head unit.

now if you do what i have done for now and just bought the main power supply & amp harness, the radio will work, but the only speakers that will work are the mids/highs that look like tweeters (but technically aren't). only reason i did this is because i have a real system that i just havent gotten around to installing yet. now the problem that you would incur is if you decide to replace the speakers. the 4 main speakers, which are 5.5x7.5, are on a low pass mono frequency from the two amps in the trunk, kinda like subs, but not. if you put in any normal aftermarket speakers, they will sound like **** because the majority of aftermarket speakers are made to play a combo of mids/highs/lows, but are mostly known for being mid-range speakers, which is obvisouly not the same frequency the two rear amps puts out. in this case, you would hafta replace those two amps with one normal 4 channel amp.

i have a website to back up this information, but dont feel like lookin it up. if you don't believe me, im sure you could always find out the hard way lol
Old 03-25-2010, 09:24 AM
ARicci6792
1st Gear Member

Nevermind guys, I went and bought the correct wire harness and installed everything last night, went very nice and sounds amazing compared the the stock radio!
Old 03-25-2010, 10:40 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by GTVAPSAMTIK
Does that kit works for factory MACH 460 sound system. I am planning to replace headunit but I was told factory speaks wont work.
that wiring harness kit come with the 2 harnesses you will need. The other kit is the bezel install kit which will hold your new headunit in place.

Just follow that link I have in my original post it will tell you everything you need. Factory speakers will work great running thru the factory amps
Old 03-25-2010, 12:54 PM
MidNightRunner
2nd Gear Member

This is a common problem, I bought my 01 new and under warranty it saw 3 of those POS 6 disk changers. I got an aftermarket one installed at best buy and it has a lifetime warranty.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:24 PM
MC
2nd Gear Member

Talking

Thats Funny, I went a whole day waiting to get home to "Find" where the Remote Changer was , Under seat, Trunck. I got home and was like WTF, After 5 Minn of being a Dumbass, i finally figured it out. Glad to know im not the only Primate in the bunch