4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

RAI vs. CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:02 PM
my01gt

Default RAI vs. CAI?

whats the difference. i ran into a lil but of cash and im gunna be getting a set of longtube headers an offroad h pipe a catback and a throttle body. i was gunna get a CAI but then my friend said that i only need a RAI whats the difference?
Old 03-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

seriously?
Old 03-22-2010, 07:21 PM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

^ +111111111
Old 03-22-2010, 07:49 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

^ + 22222222
Old 03-22-2010, 09:03 PM
fidelcastrol
2nd Gear Member

Funny how you guys took the time to flame him but won't answer his question.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

CAI is Cold Air Intake. Meaning the air intake filter is placed somewhere in the front under the bumper. Out of the engine compartment. This is advantageous for people looking to get a little bit more power out of their engine. Cold air is more oxygen rich. Oxygen + fuel + spark = combustion. The more oxygen you have in your combustion chamber...the more horsepower you will produce with your engine.

RAI is Ram Air Intake. Essentially the same as CAI except the filter is place somewhere on the vehicle by some sort of air scoop. To bring in fresh air into the engine.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by my01gt
whats the difference. i ran into a lil but of cash and im gunna be getting a set of longtube headers an offroad h pipe a catback and a throttle body. i was gunna get a CAI but then my friend said that i only need a RAI whats the difference?
Don't waste your time or money on an aftermarket CAI. The stock one works pretty good and the difference is minimal as far as performance. A better(and cheaper) way to go is to take off the air silencer and buy a K & N hi-flow filter. If you go to Summit Racing they will sell you "their" brand which is a K & N without the name stamped on it. I bought one from them and asked the phone sales guy and he confirmed that K & N makes their filters for them. When I got it it even had the K & N sticker inside the box. The filter has the same warranty as the K & N branded one.

Here's a link to the part:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-F1302/

John
Old 03-22-2010, 09:24 PM
fidelcastrol
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Novanutcase
Don't waste your time or money on an aftermarket CAI. The stock one works pretty good and the difference is minimal as far as performance. A better(and cheaper) way to go is to take off the air silencer and buy a K & N hi-flow filter. If you go to Summit Racing they will sell you "their" brand which is a K & N without the name stamped on it. I bought one from them and asked the phone sales guy and he confirmed that K & N makes their filters for them. When I got it it even had the K & N sticker inside the box. The filter has the same warranty as the K & N branded one.

Here's a link to the part:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-F1302/

John
That's exactly what I did, I didn't notice a big gain in power but then again you never do with a C.A.I. it does sound better now and I have noticed a slight gain in mpg.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:36 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

the cai MIGHT make a little more noise, the gains aren't worth the money nor will they be noticeable, the only thing cai are good for is weight reduction of the wallet, do the k&n drop in filter
Old 03-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fidelcastrol
Funny how you guys took the time to flame him but won't answer his question.
Funny noob dictator, oppressor of peoples through murder and religious persecution. Hows Raul doing? I've had my Barrett cross hairs on him a few times. Too bad I never got to pull the trigger.

Quick Reply: RAI vs. CAI?