4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help!!! Chain Broke

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 08:08 PM
laddanator

Unhappy Help!!! Chain Broke

Hello...I was trying to install new lash adjusters in my 98 Cobra and I had a remote bumper switch hooked up to rotate the cam..so anyway I had the trick flow tool inserted and hit the button by mistake and broke the secondary chain and the primary chain turn a half turn with the secondary chain broke so I am sure it threw it out of time...I have changed the chains before but never one that has broke and I use cam tools to keep cams from moving but now that that happen am I going to have to take the heads off to realine cams plus I dont see a timing mark on the secondary sproket, and how do I realine the secondary cam to in time with the primary. Thank You and any help would be greatly welcomed.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:48 AM
laddanator

Default No one

Come on guys its some smart folks on this site no one can give me a quick answer.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:18 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

These are from the '03 shop manual, should be close...

4V Cam R&R (includes secondary timing)

An illustration in this shows timing marks on the cam sprockets.

4V Timing R&R (includes primary timing)
Old 03-28-2010, 01:17 PM
laddanator

Default Thanks

Thank u cliffyk this is what I need. I am going to remove all of the rocker arms from that cam side so I can turn it back to the proper timing mark with head still on, it didnt turn enough to damage any thing so I will tear down the front timing cover and pull it all down(going to replace timing chains while I am in there). I ordered the Ford timing tools for the 4v so I will wait to the come in to start my project.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:53 AM
laddanator

Default Noise still there

Funny I torn down my car to replace the lash adjuster after I had three opinions that was what it was...broke my secondary chain by accident...then turn into a $600 dollar project. I got all new lash adjusters, and timing componets installed and fired right up but guess what that same noise is there that you can only hear when idle but when u give it gas it goes away. I no longer care I will just drive it til it dies. Thanks again cliffyk for ur help
Old 04-09-2010, 11:14 AM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

What noise were you trying to fix?
Old 04-09-2010, 12:03 PM
laddanator

I want to make a video and upload it. Well it does sound kinda like a lash adjuster...its coming from the driver head or maybe not the aluminum blocks bounce noises from one place to another. I preformed compression test..tested fine nothing broke piston wise..the noise completely disappears with alitte press of the gas pedal..most of the time a wrist pin, piston, or bearings want stop with acceleration. I have had the exhaust checked by two diffrent places and no leak, but whats so funny could pass as a exhaust leak noise also..seems to be the loudest around the egr valve but cant see or feel any leaks in that area. I hope to make a video soon and see what you guys think. I haven't checked the fuel injector. I know they make noise but wouldnt think it would be that loud.

Last edited by laddanator; 04-09-2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Added more statements
Old 04-09-2010, 12:17 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

My old 98 Cobra made the same noise drivers side only at idle. It was a brand new Ford longblock with about 10k miles at the time
Old 04-09-2010, 12:35 PM
laddanator

Sorry for double post

Last edited by laddanator; 04-09-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:39 PM
laddanator

Originally Posted by laddanator
WhiteFoxGT
My old 98 Cobra made the same noise drivers side only at idle. It was a brand new Ford longblock with about 10k miles at the time

Did u ever fix it or find out what it was

Quick Reply: Help!!! Chain Broke