4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

SCT Tune/inspection/codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 05:21 AM
ruby40

FWIW - I changed out the sensor and cleared the code right before I went to the inspection. I had only driven about 8 miles and some of the sensors came back as "not ready". I don't have the print out in front of me, but there are about 10 sensors that get pinged before the car is ready to test. I had driven enough for the o2 sensor stuff to get pinged and come back as "ready" - meaning my problem (code - p0060) was solved since there was no more SES light, but the computer hadn't finished with the EVAP and EGR tests. I had to drive the car more and I'm going back today to finish it.

So my interpretation of it is that once you clear the codes (regardless of whether they are emissions related or not) you will need to drive the car long enough for the computer to run all the diagnostics and come back without a code.

Last edited by ruby40; 05-07-2010 at 05:38 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:48 AM
popsracing

Originally Posted by DarkShadow04
so if my only code is an emission code and i clear all DTC's, ill be fine...but an emission code is supposed to set off the p1000 also, so id have to drive around until the p1000 goes away and hope the emission code doesnt come back?
If your still having issues give me a shout at 585.802.6911.
Regards,
Adam
Old 05-31-2010, 08:56 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

This is from the '00/'04 factory service manual [emphasis added]:

The OBD-II system monitors virtually all emission control systems and components that can affect tailpipe or evaporative emissions. In most cases, malfunctions must be detected before emissions exceed 1.5 times the applicable 100K (passenger cars) or 120K (trucks) - mile emission standards. If a system or component exceeds emission thresholds or fails to operate within a manufacturer's specifications, a DTC will be stored and the MIL will be illuminated within two driving cycles.

The OBD-II system monitors for malfunctions either continuously, regardless of driving mode, or non-continuously, once per drive cycle during specific drive modes. A pending DTC is stored in the PCM Keep Alive Memory (KAM) when a malfunction is initially detected. This pending DTC may be erased on the third vehicle restart after two consecutive drives cycles with no malfunction. However if the malfunction is still present after two consecutive drive cycles, the MIL is illuminated. Once the MIL is illuminated, three consecutive drive cycles without a malfunction detected are required to extinguish the MIL. The DTC is erased after 40 engine warm-up cycles once the MIL is extinguished.

In addition to specifying and standardizing much of the diagnostics and MIL operation, OBD-II requires the use of a standard Diagnostic Link Connector (DLC), standard communication links and messages, standardized DTCs and terminology. Examples of standard diagnostic information are freeze frame data and Inspection Maintenance (IM) Readiness Indicators.

Freeze frame data describes data stored in KAM at the point the malfunction is initially detected. Freeze frame data consists of parameters such as engine rpm and load, state of fuel control, spark, and warm-up status. Freeze frame data is stored at the time the first malfunction is detected, however, previously stored conditions will be replaced if a fuel or misfire fault is detected. This data is accessible with the scan tool to assist in repairing the vehicle.

OBD Inspection Maintenance (IM) Readiness indicators show whether all of the OBD monitors have been completed since the last time KAM or the PCM DTC(s) have been cleared. Ford also stores a P1000 DTC to indicate that some monitors have not completed. In some states, it may be necessary to perform an OBD check in order to renew a vehicle registration. The IM Readiness indicators must show that all monitors have been completed prior to the OBD check.