4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

STILL missing third... HELP!!!

Old 05-21-2010, 03:51 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

Default STILL missing third... HELP!!!

ok so we all know the t3650 has some problems to it, some of which were "fixed" by a rebuild kit issued by ford, which the previous owner never managed to put on my car. when i first got the car, i took it to the track and missed 3rd a buncha times. read up on the problem with the tranny, bam, replaced the fluid. still missed third, read more abt tranny, bam, MGW short throw shifter. STILL missed third, read more into detail abt tranny, bam, 3.2 qts of Mobil 1 ATF. now i am STILL missing third...WTF?! what am i doing wrong?! do i seriously need this rebuild kit to make this problem go away?! anyone else have this problem???

it only happens when im racing, and i shift the car b/w 5500-6k rpms from 2nd to 3rd. it feels like im hitting a brick wall! ive tried it at 3500 rpms, and it shifts fine, cuts like butter. tried it at ~4200 rpms, was a bit rougher, but still went in.. at higher rpms, nothin! after a few consecutive runs i will sometimes be able to get it to go in. the only way it will go in every time is if i actually break the shift down into a proces (depress clutch, shift from 2nd to neutral, move shift **** to the right, then, after much thought, gently place the shifter into 3rd, rev match, release clutch). PLEASE HELP!
Old 05-21-2010, 06:17 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Not all 3650's exhibit this problem, however it appear yours does.

There is no magical cure--you need to have the transmission fixed, as described in the the TSB you mention (click here).

With the MGW, for the 2-3 shift, you should just have to push the lever forward and let the centering spring do the left-to-right work, make sure you are not trying to "horse" it into gear...
Old 05-21-2010, 06:54 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Haha I have the same problem with my transmission, only I don't have the 3650 lol. I think I just have effed up syncros....
Old 05-21-2010, 11:35 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
With the MGW, for the 2-3 shift, you should just have to push the lever forward and let the centering spring do the left-to-right work, make sure you are not trying to "horse" it into gear...
thats the thing, i push it like that under normal driving circumstances. i try not to drive obnoxiously around town bc ive already been to jail for drifting and gotten more tickets than most people do in their entire lifetime (including eight in just one stop, top that!), but i will occasionally, on my daily commute, go to ~3500-4k rpms in 2nd and push it into 3rd (with good force) like i would when drag racing, and yet never have the problem.

i guess the tsb's solution is all i got left damn money pit...

Last edited by trailor; 05-21-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
Haha I have the same problem with my transmission, only I don't have the 3650 lol. I think I just have effed up syncros....

Hey man you will know if it's your syncros or not. If your car grinds going into gear (my car did it going into third) than it's your syncros. Luckily when mine happened it was still under warranty and the guy at the shop that fixed my car kinda strectched the truth the warranty folks, so all I paid for was the deductable. Reason I screwed my up? Cheap STS (want say what brand). I bought the MGW and I am in love. I'm very surprised the OP is having problems missing third. With my MGW it's damn near impossible to miss third. Maybe something else is wrong, hope not tho...
Old 05-21-2010, 12:23 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Hey man you will know if it's your syncros or not. If your car grinds going into gear (my car did it going into third) than it's your syncros. Luckily when mine happened it was still under warranty and the guy at the shop that fixed my car kinda strectched the truth the warranty folks, so all I paid for was the deductable. Reason I screwed my up? Cheap STS (want say what brand). I bought the MGW and I am in love. I'm very surprised the OP is having problems missing third. With my MGW it's damn near impossible to miss third. Maybe something else is wrong, hope not tho...
I'm not gonna lie, I have NO IDEA if it grinds...heres why...
When I shift into third under WOT, my exhaust is louder than any grinding could ever be, so I have no clue if it is grinding or not. I can tell you this, quoting someone else on here who said it before, my arms arent exactly stock, and I can't force it into gear for the life of me at WOT. I have to let off completely and it still misses sometimes. I have the same issue going into second too...so I don't know what it is. Shifts like cake all day long under normal driving conditions...
Old 05-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
I'm not gonna lie, I have NO IDEA if it grinds...heres why...
When I shift into third under WOT, my exhaust is louder than any grinding could ever be, so I have no clue if it is grinding or not. I can tell you this, quoting someone else on here who said it before, my arms arent exactly stock, and I can't force it into gear for the life of me at WOT. I have to let off completely and it still misses sometimes. I have the same issue going into second too...so I don't know what it is. Shifts like cake all day long under normal driving conditions...

You wouldn't have to hear it you could actually feel it. When it 1st starts it starts every once in a while. Then it gradually gets worst. Mine last for almost 6 months and then boom no third or fourth..
Old 05-21-2010, 01:10 PM
02ROLLER

hmm Im having the exact same problems as the op except mine doesnt shift that great even at low rpm's..it shifts but you can NOT shift fast at all. You have to have the clutch pressed completly to the board to get it in gear and today I was at the stop light and it popped out of first on me. Im going to start off doing the same things you did (fluid, ss) and see if that helps so please if you get it fixed post on here what it took, b/c im bought to loose my mind since I bought this car 2 weeks ago.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:39 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02ROLLER
hmm Im having the exact same problems as the op except mine doesnt shift that great even at low rpm's..it shifts but you can NOT shift fast at all. You have to have the clutch pressed completly to the board to get it in gear and today I was at the stop light and it popped out of first on me. Im going to start off doing the same things you did (fluid, ss) and see if that helps so please if you get it fixed post on here what it took, b/c im bought to loose my mind since I bought this car 2 weeks ago.
i used to have that happen to me occassionally before i got the MGW. in order for it to stop popping outta first, you hafta literally jam it all the way in. with mine, it felt like there were 2 notches in first, and if you left it at the first notch, it would pop out every time. second notch it wouldnt, but it was hard to get it there. my shifts still have a notchy feel after the MGW, but ive never had it pop outta gear and never, except for my posted problem, have trouble quick shifting.

also, i do not have a grind in any gear, so i believe my synchros are fine, and ive driven several cars with grinds (and for the record, they were not my cars)... believe me, you will know if it grinds, theres no mistaking that noise and feeling (no matter how loud your exhaust is)

Last edited by trailor; 05-21-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:46 PM
02ROLLER

yeah I dont have any grinds either nor does it pop out of any other gear so im thinking the same bout my synchros. Im just thinking with the clutch having to be on the floor board I MAY need a new clutch. and I guess since its still the factory clutch and has 130k on it I cant complain to much if that is the problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: STILL missing third... HELP!!!