4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

CUTTING SPRINGS

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:05 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Ok, I give on the hacksaw. I wasn't recommending it just trying to emphasize how slow the cut off wheel is. So how long should he expect it to take to make one cut - front spring vs rear - with the cutoff wheel?
I cut mine probably 8 years back so your recent memory should be fresher. The sawzall only takes a few minutes.
And has anyone tried both wheel vs sawzall or is it just assumed the wheel is best? I've done it with both and am offering my opinion.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:47 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
Ok, I give on the hacksaw. I wasn't recommending it just trying to emphasize how slow the cut off wheel is. So how long should he expect it to take to make one cut - front spring vs rear - with the cutoff wheel?
I cut mine probably 8 years back so your recent memory should be fresher. The sawzall only takes a few minutes.
And has anyone tried both wheel vs sawzall or is it just assumed the wheel is best? I've done it with both and am offering my opinion.
it would've only taken me about 10 minutes per spring if i had a bigger air compressor. i had to take a break about every 3-4 minutes to let the compressor build more pressure.

i used a sawzall on a friends exhaust and it was fast. never tried it on a spring.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:55 PM
BriansNSane
1st Gear Member

I'm surprised no one's mentioned a bandsaw I'm an Electrician and this is what we use to cut some heavy gauge sheet.Never tried it on a spring but that thing cuts through 2 inch metal strut like friggin butter and theres almost no kickback as there's a guide at the end of the blade.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:35 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
it would've only taken me about 10 minutes per spring if i had a bigger air compressor. i had to take a break about every 3-4 minutes to let the compressor build more pressure.

i used a sawzall on a friends exhaust and it was fast. never tried it on a spring.
10 min sounds about right. sawzall is great for exhaust work too.

BriansNSane...A band saw would make quick work of it but probably not readily available to most people.
Most people have a hacksaw but lack the biceps to do it that way
Cutoff wheel works well and most people have or can get use of an air compressor. This is also probably the safest do it yourself solution.

An electric sawzall is quick, not too expensive, no compressor needed and has lots of destructive uses around the house and car!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:26 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

I have no idea how it could take 10 minutes per spring even with a large compressor.

An air grinder with a cutoff wheel and you will be through the coil within 30 seconds...
Old 08-07-2010, 12:11 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
I have no idea how it could take 10 minutes per spring even with a large compressor.

An air grinder with a cutoff wheel and you will be through the coil within 30 seconds...
well that just wasn't the case with the tools i was using...

what were you using to get through a spring in 30 seconds?
Old 08-07-2010, 08:29 PM
allmotor

Originally Posted by jimkaray
10 min sounds about right. sawzall is great for exhaust work too.

BriansNSane...A band saw would make quick work of it but probably not readily available to most people.
Most people have a hacksaw but lack the biceps to do it that way
Cutoff wheel works well and most people have or can get use of an air compressor. This is also probably the safest do it yourself solution.

An electric sawzall is quick, not too expensive, no compressor needed and has lots of destructive uses around the house and car!
This is somewhat what i did. The sawzall is dangerous though so if you use it be careful.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:22 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
well that just wasn't the case with the tools i was using...

what were you using to get through a spring in 30 seconds?
Well I didn't personally do it but I took it to my friends shop since he had an air grinder with a cutoff wheel and he used that and got through the coil really quick.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:36 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

a hacksaw will be fine for this job and wont take near as long as they panned it out to be. a sawzall would be the best and maybe the fastest. a cutoff wheel will be fast too but not too many ppl have access to one. a hacksaw not that bad if thats all you have, some ppl are just tit babies when it comes done to physical labor
Old 08-08-2010, 12:39 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
Well I didn't personally do it but I took it to my friends shop since he had an air grinder with a cutoff wheel and he used that and got through the coil really quick.
well that explains why you have no idea how it could take the time it took me...

Quick Reply: CUTTING SPRINGS