4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

99-04 Fuel sending unit or gas gauge problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:37 AM
shelbymustangdan
2nd Gear Member

Default 99-04 Fuel sending unit or gas gauge problem?

2001 Mustang GT: I drove to a Habitat for Humanity build site, parked my car, worked all day, then climbed in my car to go home. The car wouldn’t start. It cranked over just fine, but would not fire off. I could hear the fuel pump and I had just under a quarter tank of gas. I got a ride home from another person and came back with a 2 gallon gas can. Put all two gallons in and the car started on the 2nd try.

I have a “Hayes” repair manual and I was going to check the resistance on the connector for the fuel sending unit. Unfortunately, the manual only provides an older pin out (a plug with just four pins), mine seems to have about 7 pins. (assuming I have the right connector in hand. It is mounted to the frame just behind the tank)

Before I go through the expense and work of replacing the fuel sending unit:
1. Do you agree that it is probably the fuel sending unit?
2. Is there some way to test the gauge to see if it is the problem?
3. Does anyone have a Ford shop manual that will give me the correct pins to check?

I assume I will have to drop the tank to get to everything. Not something I’m looking forward to as the tank doesn’t seem to have a drain plug like my 67.

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated!!

Dan
Old 10-22-2010, 01:15 PM
GTtony
1st Gear Member

Before i even start answer a few ?'s do you have a sub in your trunk? Nitrous bottle in there? Ask your self if, did i ever drill or screw stuff into any wires located in the trunk? NO check for me please. Driving arround may have wiggled or finally pinched a wire back there.

What is your fuel guage doing?

Heres your answers.
#1 No
#2 Yes
#3 Don't need one download for free. search your code online and press print.

Finally you don't have to drop the tank to trouble shoot this problem.

your problem will probaly be found in the wiring between the guage and sending unit. Replacing the sending unit b4 diagnosing the cause is just plain stupid.
I'll list off easiest fix to hardest.

Check the fuse in the fuse box. is it blown? yes or no! Re-place fuse if blown and start car. if fuse blows again you have an electrical problem (short to ground) if not mechanical = sending unit may be sticking or shorted.

To check if its the guage in the dash insert key into fob go up 1, hold mile/trip pin 3 sec then go to koer. all the guages should move EVEN THE FUEL GUAGE. if it drops back to empty after all guages complete the sweep the problem is between the guage and the sending unit. if it dosent move at all its before the guage (which sucks) and that may mean bad pcm. before removing key do your self a favor and get the code.

is your car throwing any codes? if its the sending unit like you say, it more than likley is. what is the code. re search the code and findout how to fix it. you should find free diagnostic steps for sending unit if you look hard enough.

to use a DMM and check res on the sending unit un-plug connector to sending unit and compare res to whatever the guide says. the location will be somewhere near the gas tank.

Don't drop the tank if you don't have too. if you do now is the time to upgrade fuel pumps...

this should at least point you in the right direction. Good luck.