4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Ignition/tuning

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 11:59 PM
Obsidian71
2nd Gear Member

Default Ignition/tuning

Ok, so I just got lucky and a buddy of mine who had an '03 Cobra a few years ago that got totaled finally came to the realization that he didn't still need some stuff he had. So, I scored an MSD 6 MOD brand new in the box with a brand new set of coil adapters, and an SCT tuner both in exchange for some bodywork he needs done.
Anyway, my question is mainly about the SCT, since I have a pretty good idea what to expect with the MSD since it's new and still has all the instructions and such. He told me not to just plug the tuner into my car because he thinks it will try to automatically tune my car to what his car was (which was a pretty sick set-up) and that I would have to have it cleared before I plugged it in. Does anyone know if it would think my car was his, or if I'd be OK??? My car wouldn't know what to do with itself it it got programmed to what he had. Anyone out there with any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm new to the modular family as my last Mustang was an '88 GT about 12 years ago.
Thanks!
Old 10-23-2010, 12:21 AM
medrick
2nd Gear Member

if it was used to tune his cobra it is locked to his car and cant be used.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:03 AM
Obsidian71
2nd Gear Member

Is there any way to have it reset??? What would it do if I plug it in? Could I still use it to read DTC's even if I'm not gonna re-tune with it?
Thanks!
Old 10-23-2010, 07:49 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You should be able to use it to read DTCs with no problem--it will NOT automatically load a tune, and it may or may not show a warning that it is not "married" to your car.

Resetting it will require loading the stock tune back into the '03 Cobra, or sending it off to SCT to be reset--last I knew they charged $150 for doing so, though I gave seen reports of their sometimes refusing to do it.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:46 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Weather it's locked or not you can't use an 03-04 cobra tuner on a 2v or NA 4v. Completely different tune strategies.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:43 PM
blowngt2889

so much for gettin lucky
Old 10-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Obsidian71
2nd Gear Member

Well, still got the 6-MOD and the coil adapters which is a good score. I would have charged him less to do the body work he needs done than what that alone is worth. As far as the SCT... now I have a REALLY expensive DTC reader... haven't tried it yet for that, but cliffyk seems to thing it'll work, gonna try it tomorrow, my lights been on for a while.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Obsidian71
2nd Gear Member

Ok, so I plugged in the SCT to see what it should do. It DOESN'T automatically tune. I was able to clear my DTC's and while I was playing around with it, it did recognize my car as a GT, not a cobra, and I went to the "pre-loaded" tunes section, but then didn't want to screw anything up and stopped. What are the preloaded tunes? And what would happen if I tried to apply something??? I just don't want to get into a situation where it programs something wrong and doesn't run right and I can't reverse it... I hate being the newbie that sounds stupid...any suggestions?
By the way...anyone know of a good set up for when I program the MSD 6 MOD on an otherwise stock motor???
Thanks!
Old 10-24-2010, 11:35 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

More then likely those canned tunes are for a 03 cobra and wont work on your car. You can load it and try it and if the car runs like crap just take the tune back out.

The MSD box will really do nothing for performance gain over the already extremely good stock ignition but it will look cool in the engine bay.