4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

V6 upgrade to GT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 01:04 AM
dirtychamba
2nd Gear Member

Question V6 upgrade to GT?

I have a 2000 automatic V6.
It's a fun car and all but we all know an automatic 6 doesnt compare to a stick GT.

I've had my 6er for almost a year now as my dd. I'm 18, drive to school and work and use it to party on weekends.

My question is if it's worth getting a stick GT???
my 6 is ok on MPG but i like slamming it at times.

i feel a GT fits me better for the power but for those of you that have owned both a v6 and gt what would you reccomend?
and are the gas pump prices extremely different or fairly similair?
(i would rather drive the better product if the fuel economy is about the same)

adding to, i can probably only affford a 99-04 GT so which year is better/reliable/etc.

a friend also told me that if i get a GT with a k/n cai and tune the mpg will be good and i will get the bang for my buck.

I don't want to start a dispute, just want honest opinions from experience.
thanks for reading!
Old 12-21-2010, 01:39 AM
Harryman2002
3rd Gear Member

I had an 02 v6 auto before I got my GT and when I switched to the GT they were both totally stock and it was a night and day difference. Definitely switch over. The gas mileage is pretty much even, but you'll probably get worse since its harder to keep your foot out of it with more power.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:39 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

difference is there going from the 6 to 8, but it may not be cost effective to you. you never posted a budget or anything like that sooooo....

reliability i would say is the same...just depends on how well you take care of your car. i would try to stick to 01.5 or higher, but the 99-01.5's are fine as well...i wouldnt make the year of the car the deciding factor it would be cost vs. miles/condition.

you really dont have any sort of goal posted for your car, you just say you "like to slam it" around...and your 18 so i assume you like to take it out and floor it once in a while for attention. throw some 4:10 gears and a tune with firmer shifts in the sixxer and your talking about a huge difference in that car from what it is now.

if you can afford a GT, sure. but insurance costs for you is going to be a pretty good jump going to a GT so unless ur parents are paying for it thats another thing to consider. less gas mileage, higher insurance, plus either a lump sum of cash or a new loan for a GT. you know your budget, we don't. you can go out and test drive a GT for free and do your own deciding if spending that kind of money is worth it to you...cuz we can't answer questions like that for you. i had a v6 when i was 17 until i was about 20. i can tell you at that age i would have gotten into more trouble than i already did if i had a GT, and at that time and with my "extra carricular activities" i couldnt afford it either.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:16 AM
dirtychamba
2nd Gear Member

thanks guys for the great answers!

well i am not trying to spend alot of money but wouldnt mind spending a few extra bucks for something better.

i am pretty sure i can sell my car and use a little extra saved up money to get a GT in great condition.
is the stick gt extremely better than an auto gt????

i will probably wait till next summer to make my choice and save some money but would want some information now.

thanks guys!
Old 12-21-2010, 06:31 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

is a stick better than an auto how?

My 04 GT that I got last august was the first stick car I owned. And last friday I picked up a stick 03 Mach 1....I think you would get more fun out of a stick for what you want out of the car. Most avid racers go with auto if they are straight liners (drag strip) for more consistant times.

I remember the feeling I got when driving my 04 GT for the first week I owned it...it made you feel more connected to the car, mad you pay attention to it, the engine revs etc. Also knowing that if your feet and right hand were not in sync...the car was not going anywhere. It was a feeling I had never got from driving an auto. Once you get the hang of it and can bang some gears around you get a sense of pride and accomplishment. Knowing you can control such a large machine through 2 pedals and a **** at the end of a shaft (shifter lol). It's a different feeling than getting into an auto, turn the key and use your right foot only.

Not gettting all "soft", but anytime I own a sporty car it will be a stick. I leave the auto to my fiance in her 4 cyl 4 door Honda Accord lol

Last edited by smitty2919; 12-21-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:44 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

If you want to invest in a GT, go for it. Just make sure you look at all the costs ahead of time. Insurance was a big one for me. Gas depends on how heavy your foot is and how well you maintain your car. My V6 gets over 30mpg... many new GT owners like to get into the throttle everytime they can and it kills you mpg. Just things to think about.

Also consider slapping a blower on your V6. You'll end up with a touch over stock GT hp and not have the hassle of getting a different car (and all the problems that might lie under it).

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Knowing you can control such a large machine through 2 pedals and a **** at the end of a shaft (shifter lol).
Maybe it's just me, but my stick cars all have THREE pedals.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:47 AM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

I never noticed much difference besides the power between my gt and my 6cyl. Both are 2004's both are verts and both are 5 speeds. I got about the same gas mileage on both, gt had a cai and a tune, 6cyl just had a cai. I decided that a good way to get the power i want and keep the insurance down was just to swap a 4.6 dohc into the v6 and call it a day than just buying another gt, but that requires getting alot of parts. You could do the swap for less than getting low mileage gt in great condition though, thats how it was where i live at least.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:00 AM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

Your biggest issue concerning cost is definitely going to be insurance rates, especially at the age of 18. You'll want to look into that first. Personally, I have no use for a Mustang with an automatic transmission, but that's just a personal preference. You'll have to make that decision for yourself. If you do decide to test drive and/or own a GT, please be mindful that these cars, while not being just incredibly powerful, are easy to get loose in the back. If you're going to get on it, get the car STRAIGHT first. I've seen too many idiots get into it around a corner and lose control of the car. Also, don't waste your money on a CAI kit for this particular car.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:30 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Maybe it's just me, but my stick cars all have THREE pedals.
I was referring to clutch and gas pedal....who uses the brake pedal anyways??
Old 12-21-2010, 09:39 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

I did virtually the same thing yoiu want to do, OP. I went from your exact same car to a GT stick.

The difference is def night and day...esp is you slap a set of gears on your GT. Just be careful, just because you have a GT doesn't mean you have the fastest car on the road.

Personally, I'd go with an 01-04 GT. I like the small subtle difference of them vs the 2000. The interior in the 01-04 is SLIGHTLY different, but still a tad bit better (i like the button placements of the TC/Rear defrost/Fog lights better). But I also like the hoodscoops and darker headlights that the 01-04 sport.

Are you gonna sell your six? Or keep it?

Quick Reply: V6 upgrade to GT?