4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Replacement Bulbs/Sequential Tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 01:25 AM
DutchManDann
2nd Gear Member

Default Replacement Bulbs/Sequential Tail lights

Hey everyone,

I found out today that one of the fog lights on my 98 GT is out. So now I need new bulbs. I want to replace the headlights and the foglight bulbs, so here's a few questions:

-What is the stock Voltage on the headlights/fog lights? And what is a safe voltage to run that wont ruin anything?

-What is a good brand, that lasts longer yet is brighter than OEM (to show through my smoked lights better)? And I dont like the blue lights either haha

- While on the topic of lights, I was looking for Sequential Tail Lights. http://www.americanmuscle.com/sequen...lice-9604.html
Those are the one's I am looking at, but I wanted ones that will also make the sequence when braking, will those do this?

Thanks,
DMD
Thanks
Old 03-19-2011, 03:21 AM
nasty04GT

i would probably say to go with the sylvania silvestar ultra. i bought them for my car and they seemed brighter than the originals that came with my car. i eventually got tired of the dull look and went with the hid kit that was 6000k (they are not blue, they are white). and i want those sequentials as well. they look pretty cool. and from what ive seen, they do make the sequence when braking as well as when you use the turn signal and emergency lights
Old 03-19-2011, 10:09 PM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

Im in the same boat. I would like some new headlights that are brighter but not the HIDs. I have the sequentials on my car and I bought mine from AM. I went with the slice in kit and it was really easy to install. They sequence when braking and turning.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:43 PM
DutchManDann
2nd Gear Member

Alright sweet thanks,

Can't wait to get those sequential splice in tailights. Definitely going with splice in as well. $100 more for the plug in ones? Definitely not worth it. I'm glad they work with braking and turning.

And okay thanks, I'll go with the Sylvannia then. And while we're on the subject, what is so great about HIDs?

And are there any decently priced conversion kits that work well?
Old 03-20-2011, 08:33 AM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

HIDs are supposed to be MUCH brighter. There are conversion kits on AM for both the headlights and fog lights. I think the headlight one is about $250 and the fog light one is about $200.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:12 AM
DutchManDann
2nd Gear Member

Hmm okay, probably not worth it then because there's so much other stuff I want to do to my car.

Also, are there any brighter tail lights I can buy? Just to go through my smoked lights better.

And I would check myself but I don't have my mustang right now, but I have a question on the front turn signal.

Is the housing of the turn signal amber colored, or just the bulb?
Old 03-20-2011, 01:42 PM
nasty04GT

for the tailights, i dont think theres a brighter option. my friend smoked out his tail lights and then got a ticket for not being able to see the tailights from a distance. so what he did was swap out the bulbs for some led bulbs. that only made the light look dimmer since the led can only shine in one direction and not really light up the whole tailight. and for the headlights, its the corner of the actual headlight unit that is amber as well as the bulb. they do sell aftermarket lights with clear corners though. and for the hids...well i have a local place where i can get them for $45 and they seem to last quite a while without giving me problems. if i had to pay > $200 for an hid kit, i think i would probably not go with it either. but seriously, a good 6000k or 8000k hid kit is a really REALLY good investment. it will make your stang stand out at night.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:52 PM
harbre32
2nd Gear Member

I bought the sequential tail light kit on ebay for 50 bucks and am on year 2 with them. Never had a problem with them. And yes they do work when braking as well. They came with good instructions and if you know basic wiring you can install in an hour tops. I also got my HID's from vvme.com. I was weary at first because you can get the kit for 80 bucks. But afterseeing how nice the kits were my friends got from there I went for it. The quality of the wiring and such was very nice. Just an fyi to save you a couple of bucks
Old 03-20-2011, 07:41 PM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by harbre32
I also got my HID's from vvme.com. I was weary at first because you can get the kit for 80 bucks. But afterseeing how nice the kits were my friends got from there I went for it. The quality of the wiring and such was very nice. Just an fyi to save you a couple of bucks
Was just checking out that site and it looks pretty good. What conversion kit did you get for your mustang and how hard was it to install?
Old 03-20-2011, 07:57 PM
harbre32
2nd Gear Member

I forget what #K I picked bit I did pick the 55w ones. I picked the one that was the pure white ones. They are very simple to install. Thedirections show everything. No splicing just plug and play

Quick Reply: Replacement Bulbs/Sequential Tail lights