4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Shifter lever not self-centering

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 12:05 PM
braumeister

Default Shifter lever not self-centering

This will be my first post on here. I just picked up a 2001 Mustang GT and there're a few minor issues with it I'm trying to resolve. It's low mileage (~62,000), in very clean cosmetic condition, and was a very good buy. Anyway, one of the issues I'm having that I can't seem to find much mustang-relevant information on it with regard to the shift lever.

When throwing to the right (between 5th and reverse), the stick will spring back to center on its own. However, when going between 1st and 2nd on the left, it sticks and does not self-center. In other vehicles, I've seen people track the problem down to centering springs, bushings, and unfortunately on some vehicles, inside of the transmission itself. Before I rip the inside of the shifter assembly apart, has anyone run into this problem? Does the GT have centering springs within the shifter assembly? Please note that the vehicle shifts beautifully with no issues aside from this.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Not, the stock shifter does not have it's own centering springs. The shifting mechanism within the trans is what does it. I can't highly enough recommend getting an aftermarket short throw shifter (Steeda, MGW, Pro 5.0.... it doesn't really matter, any of them are a vast improvement over stock); all of the aftermarket shifters I'm aware of are self sprung and if you think it shifts ok now with the stock flimsy pos then you'll really be dazzled with a new shifter.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:43 PM
braumeister

A short throw was on the list of upgrades. If there's a potential issue inside of the transmission with this stick not springing back to center, would it be beneficial to get this corrected or would the short throw just override the issue?
Old 03-26-2011, 02:04 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

There is nothing inside the transmission that would make the shift lever center itself, or prevent the centering springs in the shifter from doing so. Therefore the good news is there's no "issue inside of the transmission" to be had...

BTW, MGW FTW...

Old 03-26-2011, 02:31 PM
braumeister

Originally Posted by cliffyk
There is nothing inside the transmission that would make the shift lever center itself, or prevent the centering springs in the shifter from doing so. Therefore the good news is there's no "issue inside of the transmission" to be had...
Short shifter it is.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:31 PM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

I've had the pro 50 and the mgw and driven a car with the steeda tri ax. out of those I like the mgw the best.
and btw off topic what handle is that cliffyk? I thought the only options were the orange and silver handles but that looks different than the orange one i had.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:20 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

That is the orange one, the lighting and digital camera enhanced the colour a bit...
Old 03-29-2011, 08:14 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cliffyk

BTW, MGW FTW...

Incorrect, There are internal mechanisms for this.... I've worked as an outside rep at shows for Tremec transmissions and have seen the cutouts for practically every model transmission they make. They ALL have internal mechanisms to help center the shifter. T-5's, TKO's, T-56's, T-45's, the old TR3550's... all of them have this.

In the meantime, while I would love to recommend you buy the Tri-Ax and you can check it out here along with customer testimonials: Steeda Tri-Ax Short Throw Shifter what you really need to do first is have that transmission looked over internally before you buy anything.

Last edited by SteedaGus; 03-29-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:36 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
Incorrect, There are internal mechanisms for this.... I've worked as an outside rep at shows for Tremec transmissions and have seen the cutouts for practically every model transmission they make. They ALL have internal mechanisms to help center the shifter. T-5's, TKO's, T-56's, T-45's, the old TR3550's... all of them have this.

In the meantime, while I would love to recommend you buy the Tri-Ax and you can check it out here along with customer testimonials: Steeda Tri-Ax Short Throw Shifter what you really need to do first is have that transmission looked over internally before you buy anything.
Well, yeah--there is that wimpy little spring in the turret...

Old 03-29-2011, 10:19 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

I am not talking about the turret, there are also mechanisms inside the transmission. That wimpy little spring alone doesnt do the whole job.

Quick Reply: Shifter lever not self-centering