4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Missing O2 Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 11:12 PM
DutchManDann
2nd Gear Member

Default Missing O2 Sensor

Hey guys,

Turns out, my check engine light was in fact referring to what I believe to be a missing Oxygen sensor.

Here's a video of what I think is the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUSFPFU6ARQ

So is that my problem? And what do I need to but in order to fix it?

Thanks,
DMD

Last edited by DutchManDann; 04-05-2011 at 11:12 PM. Reason: posted wrong video
Old 04-05-2011, 11:46 PM
mustangbert

that could very well be why your check engine light is on. have u had the computer read to see why it is on? you for sure need a new o2 sensor buy one and put it in and see if it turns your check engine light off.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:19 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Which o2 sensor is "missing"
Old 04-06-2011, 07:52 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Obviously the rear driver's side sensor is broken off, also it appears as though hardware based "MIL eliminator" solution (there are no catalytic converters) has been applied to the passenger side rear sensor--the elbow is not stock.

It is intended to create a stagnant pool of exhaust gas to slow the rear sensor's switching frequency, and reduce it's output voltage--same thing as using 18mm spark plug "anti-fouling" bushings.

The front sensors appear to have the elbows too? If so they need to go and the sensors need to be mounted properly--up front those elbows will wreak havoc with engine control.

What are the codes that are being thrown? If you don't have a code scanner drop in at any FLAPS and they will read them for you--get the actual codes, whatever description they usually give is more often than not meaningless...

Once you get the codes look 'em up here, and post them in this thread...
Old 04-06-2011, 04:27 PM
DutchManDann
2nd Gear Member

The codes that come up are DTC 141 and 136:
P0136 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-12)
P0141 redirects to P0135 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-11)

And to make sure I understand properly, the passanger side has an aftermarket elbow which is not supposed to be there?

And I'll check to see if the front have the elbow as well.

So then it comes to what I need, I just need a new O2 sensor for the rear drivers side, and then I can just remove the elbows? Or will i need all new O2 sensors as well for the other ones?

Thanks for the help,
DMD

Last edited by DutchManDann; 04-06-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:29 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by DutchManDann
The codes that come up are DTC 141 and 136:
P0136 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-12)
P0141 redirects to P0135 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-11)
Both of those codes are for sensor 12 (bank 1, sensor 2 = passenger side rear), however I'd bet the connectors are crossed and it is really the driver's side rear (the missing one) that is triggering the DTCs.

And to make sure I understand properly, the passanger side has an aftermarket elbow which is not supposed to be there?
Yes, although it is likely a mechanism to trick the PCM into believing the catalytic converters are installed (they are not) and working.

As you have no cats, you will need either these elbows, or 18mm anti-fouling spark plug bushings, or MIL eliminators to prevent the PCM from throwing "bad rear O2 sensor" DTCs,

And I'll check to see if the front have the elbow as well.
The front sensors should not have the elbows, at all.

So then it comes to what I need, I just need a new O2 sensor for the rear drivers side, and then I can just remove the elbows? Or will i need all new O2 sensors as well for the other ones?
As stated above you will need the elbows or MIL eliminators to trick the PCM into believing you have catalytic converters.

Given the overall appearance of the sensors I would buy all four, pull the elbow(s) and start from scratch--using MIL eliminators on the rear sensors.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Case's97GT
1st Gear Member

Yes what they said.... Keep in mind though that the rear sensors are only the check if the cats are doing their job. They are not critical for the cars performance, but the steps above will allow you to get rid of those codes the car keeps throwing.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:30 PM
DutchManDann
2nd Gear Member

I have a question...Every once and a while I get a check engine light code that has something to do with oil being dumped into my catalytic converter...but you say I don't have any?

Are you sure I dont have em? Where would they be if I did?

And okay I'll get a set of O2 sensors and the MIL Eliminators.

Thanks for the help guys
Old 04-06-2011, 09:38 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by DutchManDann
I have a question...Every once and a while I get a check engine light code that has something to do with oil being dumped into my catalytic converter...but you say I don't have any?

Are you sure I dont have em? Where would they be if I did?
You are new at this, aren't you?

They would be bulbous type things, smaller than a muffler, in the exhaust pipe between the manifold and the crossover; or more correctly between the manifold and the rear O2 sensors--if you had them we couldn't miss 'em in the video...

And okay I'll get a set of O2 sensors and the MIL Eliminators.

Thanks for the help guys
Old 04-06-2011, 10:04 PM
DutchManDann
2nd Gear Member

Yeah this is my first car, and my car is the only car in the house that doesnt get sent into repair shops to get fixed. Hell, my dad doesnt even change the oil on our Suburban anymore :/

so I am very new to this. I'm learning though. For some reason I thought the mufflers were the catalytic converters, however looking back at it now, it makes more sense that the mufflers are mufflers.

And thanks for the help, I'll hopefully get this fixed this weekend assuming it doesnt rain

Quick Reply: Missing O2 Sensor