4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Dumps after Stock H pipe

Old 04-18-2011, 11:02 AM
stanglvr38

Default Dumps after Stock H pipe

So I got bored yesterday and decided to unbolt my stock catback from the stock h pipe. I did that and let the catback hang on its hangers but yet separated from the h pipe. I fired up the car and it actually doesn't sound that bad. I drove around town and didn't notice any loss of power or low end torque either. Now, my question is can I just take the whole catback off and dump it right after the stock h pipe? Also, can anything happen to my car (mechanically wise) for keeping the catback disconnected from the h pipe but still attached to the car?
Old 04-18-2011, 11:41 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

You do realize that exhaust fumes are going to come into your car with it dumped right there.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:02 PM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

Besides the fumes all that heat will also go up into your car. I know what you mean though. I just pulled of the stock cat back on my gt (so I could put on magnaflows) and it does sound sweet. My suggestion would to atleast bolt something to the midpipe that aims the fumes down instead of straight out. That's just my .02
Old 04-18-2011, 01:48 PM
kon5t

perhaps a straight pip to the back. Vid and sound recording would be great :-)
Old 04-18-2011, 06:03 PM
BLKSTANGER
2nd Gear Member

Even though you don't notice it around town that is going to kill your torque curve. The fumes might give you a little drain bamage too.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:25 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

You'll be fine. You won't lose power, you won't lose torque. Most people run dumps after the mufflers as I do.

You can take your car to a muffler shop and have them weld turn downs on your car. That way the exhaust points down instead of straight back. I doubt you'll notice enough heat to make it worth doing.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:59 PM
stanglvr38

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
You'll be fine. You won't lose power, you won't lose torque. Most people run dumps after the mufflers as I do.

You can take your car to a muffler shop and have them weld turn downs on your car. That way the exhaust points down instead of straight back. I doubt you'll notice enough heat to make it worth doing.
Haha I was talking about dumping right after the h pipe, not the mufflers. And why do people dump after the mufflers? Does it make it louder due to the fact that the exhaust doesn't have to travel as much?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:21 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

they dump it there because there is less chance of gas fumes and heat coming into the cabin of the car. I'm sorry to be bold but your idea is retarded!
Old 04-18-2011, 10:51 PM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

It might sound cool for a week or so but you'll get tired of it TRUST ME!
Old 04-19-2011, 09:40 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

i had to run dumps after the h pipe to get the car home after the irs swap. i didnt have the catback yet. its a ear buster and sounds like a pile of garbage. i guess it was cool back when i was 18 and i had cut outs on the long tubes of my 99 z28

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dumps after Stock H pipe