4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

EGR valve delete: good, bad, indifferent?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Endrance
1st Gear Member

Default EGR valve delete: good, bad, indifferent?

Been reading a lot on here that people have been removing their EGR valves. I was wondering if there were any benefits to this/any down sides. I live in FL so emissions tests are nonexsistant.

Thanks in advance,
Endrance
Old 05-04-2011, 11:05 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Other than "cleaning up" the engine bay there is no advantage, and a slight disadvantage as unlike a lot of "emissions stuff" the EGR actually improves fuel economy while cruising at steady speeds (the only time it's active).

By introducing already burned exhaust gases into the intake it reduces combustion chamber temperatures (already burned gases cannot burn again). Along with reducing oxides of nitrogen emissions this lowered combustion temperature also allows more advanced timing, which improves overall engine efficiency.

That said, the EGR valve on my '03 was sticking/stuck about a year ago, causing a surging at light load acceleration, so being of Scottish descent I just disabled it in the tune--if I get ambitious some day I will likely remove it.

It cost me maybe 1/4 mpg on the highway...
Old 05-04-2011, 11:36 AM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

if you decide to get rid of it due to no emission testing, ill buy the egr tube off you because mine broke and i have emission testing, i run it deleted now without problems
Old 05-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Endrance
1st Gear Member

Thanks for that info cliff. I was thinking there was some sort of advantage seeing as so many people have done this. I think ill be keeping mine on since I don't drive my cars to shows and I'd love to keep my 1/4 mpg since I drive a lot of highway
Old 05-04-2011, 08:39 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

ci i have one pm me. you live right by me too lol. i have my whole egr setup
Old 05-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

It does not effect your tunes air/fuel maps or operations. It is a cosmetic mod only and does not hurt your car in any way.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:31 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Other than "cleaning up" the engine bay there is no advantage, and a slight disadvantage as unlike a lot of "emissions stuff" the EGR actually improves fuel economy while cruising at steady speeds (the only time it's active).

By introducing already burned exhaust gases into the intake it reduces combustion chamber temperatures (already burned gases cannot burn again). Along with reducing oxides of nitrogen emissions this lowered combustion temperature also allows more advanced timing, which improves overall engine efficiency.

That said, the EGR valve on my '03 was sticking/stuck about a year ago, causing a surging at light load acceleration, so being of Scottish descent I just disabled it in the tune--if I get ambitious some day I will likely remove it.

Very good post Mr. Cliffyk
Old 05-05-2011, 05:26 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I delelted mine and felt no negative effects, cleaned up my idle a bit actually. Had to get a new tune file with the EGR shut off because after delelted it I kept tripping lean codes, no problems after the new tune was sent to me.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:49 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk

How did you know it was sticking? Other than surging issue was there any other way you were able to tell it was the EGR???

Originally Posted by Wolvee
It does not effect your tunes air/fuel maps or operations. It is a cosmetic mod only and does not hurt your car in any way.
Is this correct because I am waiting to fix a few things on my car before I go and get it retuned. If I were to delete my EGR I need the car to still run basically the same untill I get it retuned. I dont run it hard with out it properly tuned.

Originally Posted by uberstang1
I delelted mine and felt no negative effects, cleaned up my idle a bit actually. Had to get a new tune file with the EGR shut off because after delelted it I kept tripping lean codes, no problems after the new tune was sent to me.
So can I just delete the pipe from the EGR valve to my long tube header without throwing any codes for the time being untill I have the car retuned? Basically cap off both ends the pipe goes into. OR what is the best way to delete the EGR setup??? Take off the pipe and plug both ends and leave the valve still connected to the plenum and the electrical plug still connected. if this route what do you do about the rectangular thing the y's off the EGR pipe with a smaller pipe( the MAP I think)??? OR if you delete the entire thing do you pull the whole unit off the plenum, do a block off plate and then plug the header pipe? again what do you do with the MAP and the electrical connections. How did you guys delete your EGRs
Old 08-24-2011, 11:17 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

also, with a 96 mustang gt and an Xcal 2, i have to have a tuner turn off the EGR. I do not think I can do it myself with my hand held where I think you can with 99+???

Quick Reply: EGR valve delete: good, bad, indifferent?