4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HELP! Please Advise What 2 do 1st when car sitting outdoors in Florida, for 4 yrs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Mystang

Unhappy HELP! Please Advise What 2 do 1st when car sitting outdoors in Florida, for 4 yrs?

Hi, I am finally able to get my car, its been in Florida for 4 yrs. without being started. I would like to be able to drive it again on long trips. I am fearful as what to do first? Obviously, I need a new battery (even though last one was brand new when I left) I was told to change the Gas & Oil.. FIRST before Starting the Car..also told to change the Serpentine belt to be safe. I don't know what else to do! I have no idea what condition the seals are in (nor which seals they are, lol). I don't know if it is safe to "Start the Car First," and drive it to a station, or should I Change the Fluids First? I really want to Drive it on long trips again, if in good shape but I'm fearful, any help would be appreciated, Car is Mustang GT, has 40,000 orig miles, no accidents, 35th Anniversary, I hear it holds 15 gals. of gas, not sure..Don't know how many miles it gets on highway or street either, any info. and advice would be welcome.
PS. I was told NOT to start the car 1st because the gas and oil may ruin the engine if it has been sitting in there, for 4 years. What about the transmission fluid and anti freeze?
What should I do first? Please Help! Thank you in Advance ;D
Old 06-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Draining and replacing the oil first is a must. It probably has had condensation build up in it and is not to be trusted.

I would drain the gas as well and start with a fresh tank and a new fuel filter. Once again, condensation in the tank.

The coolant is probably OK, at least for now.. I'd flush it soon after getting the car running though.

You will probably need to recharge the battery after all this time. Give that a try and if it will hold a charge, great. If not, have it tested. If it fails the test, new battery.

Good Luck!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:51 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

check tires for dry rot. personally i would probably change all the fluids just for good measure: differential, power steering, tranny, brakes, and the others mentioned above. A/C would probably still be fine, if the lines aren't dry rot. leavin any kinda fluid, even water, for that long is bound to have detrimental effects. now some of the fluid you can't change until you turn it on, like the coolant, or until you drive it somewhere, but as long as you get the oil and gas done ASAP, it should be in driveable condition.

also, i would leave a window cracked for a day or two before hopping in and driving it. and for God's sake, give her a bath!

Last edited by trailor; 06-08-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:13 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

be weary of your brakes too, obviously sitting they could have rusted real bad and you may only have one caliper actually work and it will pull you really bad if you hit them hard enough, so on the first drive be very easy on the car. I would also pop the hood and give the engine bay a realllllllly good inspection. Sitting for that long i bet something has crawled up and tried living in the bay, if not gotten into the car somehow. just a couple things to look for and keep in the back of your head while your gettin er ready!
Old 06-08-2011, 05:51 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

Change all fluids,drain gasoline. New fuel filter. Once started DO NOT REV THE CRAP OUT OF IT. Let it get to temp slowly and put a big piece of cardboard under and check for leaks. Put in a high mileage oil. They have gasket swelling additives. Do same with tranny fluid. Use an additive that will help seals. Drive cautiously for the first few hundred miles as not to blow anything up. I would seafoam it personally too. Change fluids again after about 1000 miles and look for any potential problems like fuel diluted oil or scorched tranny fluid. Keep a good eye out for leaks. The gaskets will be all dried up so it's crucial to put in a high mileage oil or seal conditioning additive. Check head bolts and tighten slightly to be sure heads gaskets are sealed. Pay attention to antifreeze. Mark reservoir to follow up on any consumption issues. And baby it for a few thousand miles.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

i agree with all the changing of fluids but the major prob is no oil ontop of your motor... i would suggest pulling your valve covers and power oil all over the thing and then lettin it sit for awhile!!
Old 06-09-2011, 10:22 PM
Mystang

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by everett
Change all fluids,drain gasoline. New fuel filter. Once started DO NOT REV THE CRAP OUT OF IT. Let it get to temp slowly and put a big piece of cardboard under and check for leaks. Put in a high mileage oil. They have gasket swelling additives. Do same with tranny fluid. Use an additive that will help seals. Drive cautiously for the first few hundred miles as not to blow anything up. I would seafoam it personally too. Change fluids again after about 1000 miles and look for any potential problems like fuel diluted oil or scorched tranny fluid. Keep a good eye out for leaks. The gaskets will be all dried up so it's crucial to put in a high mileage oil or seal conditioning additive. Check head bolts and tighten slightly to be sure heads gaskets are sealed. Pay attention to antifreeze. Mark reservoir to follow up on any consumption issues. And baby it for a few thousand miles.
Hi Everett, You are awesome...great info. Which high mileage oil and tranny fluid would you suggest? Where are the head bolts and heads gaskets. :P (Red faced)
I Like the idea seal conditioning additive that is something new to me..:\
oh and I wont rev the heck outta her, I promise.. But, a Bath for sure .... and a rub down too,My Poor Baby!!
Thanks "Great Advice"!
Old 06-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Mystang

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by trailor
check tires for dry rot. personally i would probably change all the fluids just for good measure: differential, power steering, tranny, brakes, and the others mentioned above. A/C would probably still be fine, if the lines aren't dry rot. leavin any kinda fluid, even water, for that long is bound to have detrimental effects. now some of the fluid you can't change until you turn it on, like the coolant, or until you drive it somewhere, but as long as you get the oil and gas done ASAP, it should be in driveable condition.

also, i would leave a window cracked for a day or two before hopping in and driving it. and for God's sake, give her a bath!
Hi Trailor....Good Idea, checking the differential, power steering, tranny, brake fluids as well, I appreciate it. Do You think if I put in dry gas so, I can drive her a mile or 2 to the mechanic safely... so he can change everything including the tires?? I'm afraid to even start her ...wahhhwahh!:.( A Bath, a massage and a rubdown too, awwh my poor baby, I hope she's ok Thanks again!
Old 06-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Mystang

Red face

Originally Posted by Blackvenom01
i agree with all the changing of fluids but the major prob is no oil ontop of your motor... i would suggest pulling your valve covers and power oil all over the thing and then lettin it sit for awhile!!
Hi Blackvenom, Thanks for your reply, Just wondering, can you be more explicit, your saying I should pour oil on top of my valve covers? Which do you mean? Also what oil do you mean to Pour it all over... what ? Sorry, Just a little confused..
Old 06-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Mystang

Wink

Originally Posted by BlackMage
be weary of your brakes too, obviously sitting they could have rusted real bad and you may only have one caliper actually work and it will pull you really bad if you hit them hard enough, so on the first drive be very easy on the car. I would also pop the hood and give the engine bay a realllllllly good inspection. Sitting for that long i bet something has crawled up and tried living in the bay, if not gotten into the car somehow. just a couple things to look for and keep in the back of your head while your gettin er ready!
Hey BlackMage
Great Ideas... I will be wary and very cautious, I admit, I'm scared...to drive 'er, But a Girls' gotta do ~ whatta Girls' Gotta~do..
I sure hope no one has taking up residence..haahhaa! I'll let you guys know what happens... in a week or two, as I may Not have computer accesc after the 14 of this month... But, I will let you know what the outcome is...errrh, I hope I get back to you..(fingers crossd)!! Thank you so much, for your reply.

Quick Reply: HELP! Please Advise What 2 do 1st when car sitting outdoors in Florida, for 4 yrs?