4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

02 mustang gt/ cold air intake ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 11:47 PM
Vikefan88
2nd Gear Member

Default 02 mustang gt/ cold air intake ?'s

i just bought a 2002 mustang gt convertible. Im new to modern mustang performance. I want to put a cold air intake. I have no idea which ones are best. Some have told me jlt other k&N. some have told me to get the complete system with the box and avoid the shorter ram air system. Can yall simplify it for me thanks!
Old 06-22-2011, 05:14 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Simply use the stock tube with a good filter, CAI wont get you any power of the stock unit.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:34 AM
sinister99GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Simply use the stock tube with a good filter, CAI wont get you any power of the stock unit.
+1 on that, dont wast your money unless you think they just look cool and you want to dress it up under the hood. you will see no noticeable performance gain for that money. it is better spent in other areas.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:21 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

i would recommend avoiding true CAI's, as they are a pain in the @ss to install in the fenderwell, plus they are more prone to water-soaking and get dirty a helluva lot faster. if you would be interested in a short ram intake, i have a k&n fipk gen 2 on my f150 and a jlt short ram on my stang. both seem to be of good quality and are around the same price. i like having a reusable filter and the apperance of both. another thing to consider, if you plan on doing any modifications to your intake manifold, is that jlt has the widest piping of all the popular aftermarket brands (i've compared to c&l, bbk, k&n, steeda, etc etc).

p.s. one thing i forgot to mention, i would strongly recommend that you NOT get any intake piping that is made of metal (unless you plan to heat wrap or spray). they're more prone to heat soak and def deliver warmer temperatures to the engine, especially on track days.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:28 PM
rfomlover
1st Gear Member

Im using stock piping and airbox. Have a K&N Drop in and removed my air silencer.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:33 PM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

Pretty much what everyone else has said. K&n drop in and remove air silencer will get you the same result and cost much less.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Vikefan88
2nd Gear Member

thanks for advice guys!
Old 06-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Vikefan88
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by speedkills
Pretty much what everyone else has said. K&n drop in and remove air silencer will get you the same result and cost much less.
where is and how do i remove the silencer.. thanks
Old 06-23-2011, 03:05 PM
rfomlover
1st Gear Member

It is not really recommended to remove your air silencer unless you have a K&N drop in. When looking at your engine bay from the front of your car, you will want to follow the intake piping from the throttle body to the airbox. The air silencer is a rubber piece that comes from the left edge of the airbox and goes into the fender. The way I removed it was to unscrew the air box from the fender and then open up the airbox's clamps. Then take your filter out (I already had a K&N drop in when I bought my car) and then just take the silencer out. Then put your K&N back in there and reclamp and rescrew the airbox to the fender. DONE!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 07:18 PM
Josh17

Originally Posted by rfomlover
It is not really recommended to remove your air silencer unless you have a K&N drop in. When looking at your engine bay from the front of your car, you will want to follow the intake piping from the throttle body to the airbox. The air silencer is a rubber piece that comes from the left edge of the airbox and goes into the fender. The way I removed it was to unscrew the air box from the fender and then open up the airbox's clamps. Then take your filter out (I already had a K&N drop in when I bought my car) and then just take the silencer out. Then put your K&N back in there and reclamp and rescrew the airbox to the fender. DONE!!!
why isn't it recommended to do with the stock intake?? Just wondering.

Quick Reply: 02 mustang gt/ cold air intake ?'s