4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

automatic to 5 speed swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:49 PM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

Default automatic to 5 speed swap

i got the swap done today at the shop that i go to, and other than a few minor hiccups, everything went pretty good, with one exception. my speedometer is showing double my actual speed. the tune showed my gear ratio and tire size correct, but my speedo is exactly double none the less. i've emailed my tuner to have him look over the tune just to be sure, but do you guys have any ideas what it could be? i have an 03 GT, trans came out of an 02, and it's a stock TR3650.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:46 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I don't know how to solve your issue, but congrats on the increase of "fun-factor" for your ride

Jazzer
Old 08-13-2011, 08:26 AM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

it won't have a fun factor for a little while. while the car was up in the air, he noticed that my left front spring has snapped in several places. he said the car is still drivable, but i don't know for how much longer, so i'm not going to chance having a catastrophic suspension failure when i'm out on the road.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

You mean one of the coil springs is BROKEN? In several places!

How in the hell is it even sitting remotely level? I would think it to be sitting several inches low on that corner. How does one go about breaking a spring anyway?

Jazzer

EDIT: Hit up ye ol' suspension guide to make her a best in the twisties

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 08-13-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:01 AM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

yes, it is sitting about an inch lower on the left front, which i just never noticed, or maybe i attributed it to the springs settling differently. the guy that did my trans install literally handed me a coil from my spring, he said it just came out in his hand. it's an eibach spring, i've never had trouble with them before. but after reading about the horror stories from their customer service department, i'm going to have a hell of a time claiming with the company. i'm going to want four new springs, because they all came out of the same lot. but even if they decide to honor the warranty, they're only going to want to give me one.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Before you go buying new springs, be sure to ask yourself the ULTIMATE question of which I ask everyone looking to mod his/her ride...

What are the ULTIMATE goals for your car?

Jazzer
Old 08-13-2011, 04:15 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The tune's scalar value Output Shaft # of Holes needs to be changed from 6 to 12 to correct the speedometer--the OSS (Output Shaft Speed sensor) on the 4R70W has 6 holes on the sensor wheel, the 3650 has 12.

As to the spring, I would not drive very far or very fast on a spring that has shattered, even if just at one end...
Old 08-13-2011, 07:42 PM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
The tune's scalar value Output Shaft # of Holes needs to be changed from 6 to 12 to correct the speedometer--the OSS (Output Shaft Speed sensor) on the 4R70W has 6 holes on the sensor wheel, the 3650 has 12.

As to the spring, I would not drive very far or very fast on a spring that has shattered, even if just at one end...
Thanks, that's the same answer I got on mustangworld.com word for word. And I don't really plan on driving the car until I get the springs taken care of. I'm just afraid of what will happen if that or another spring continues to shatter.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:03 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It's not exactly "word-for-word", but close:

Originally Posted by MustangWorld:MySlow2002GT
The 4R70W OSS reluctor wheel has 6 holes while the TR-3650 OSS reluctor wheel has 12. You need to go into the scalars function in the SCT (or the like) software and change this.
No handheld will let you access this, you'll need SCT Advantage, Delta Force Commando, or the like...
Old 08-13-2011, 08:08 PM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
It's not exactly "word-for-word", but close:

No handheld will let you access this, you'll need SCT Advantage, Delta Force Commando, or the like...
Ok, maybe not word for word lol. Are any of those programs available for download, thru...ahem...legal methods or otherwise?

Quick Reply: automatic to 5 speed swap