4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Foglight upgrade (TUTORIAL)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 08:23 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

Default Foglight upgrade (TUTORIAL)

So my fog lights were nasty and unable to be cleaned very well and rather than pay 100$ for new ones I picked up some 20$ wal-mart lighs and installed them.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fog-Kit-wi...enses/16680056

Tools: 3/8th drive wrench and some sockets. wire cutters, pliers, zip ties that come with the foglight kit. flat head and Philips screw driver. bell cap for spliced wires or crimps. razor blade or box cutter
PRE-STEP: UNHOOK THE BATTERY
Step 1: remove your OEM fog light from the MAIN metal housing. Youre going to have to use a pair of pliers to bend the metal frames off the new fog lights so that you can slide that harness bolt through your original mount piece and the new fog light harness. You also have to use the flat head screw driver to warp the new harness to get that bolt through. I also used a grinder to shave a hair or two off the bolt. It should look like this.

Step2: Your foglight kits comes with overkill for wires and screws and hook up. You can install a killswitch if you want but I just hooked up the new fog lights directly to the power and ground line of the OEM lights. You will have to cut the wires and strip them with a razor blade or box cutter, whats what i used. The kit comes with really nice crimps built onto the positive line but not the ground. I just used a bell cap on the ground and crimped the positive, which also have a nice plastic cover over the crimp.

Step 3: pull all the wires inside the bumper and screw your main bolt back on. This will mount the foglight harness to the metal frame inside the bumper. See and feel how its all matching up, you will need to aim your lights and fiddle with it to get it where you want it. Take your zip ties and round up all the lose wire slack. I used two zip ties per light to keep it neat.

I also upgraded my main headlights with a set of TEXON 8000K XENON halogen bulbs. simply plug and play set up. 16$ on Amazon.com

edit: I am still planning on putting the OEM plastic around the sides of the fog lights to keep out air and water.

Last edited by SXGT; 09-19-2011 at 08:26 PM.