4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Gas mileage numbers are in

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 07:51 PM
clayto

Default Gas mileage numbers are in

A few weeks ago I picked up my first Mustang, a 1999 GT. The previous owner was telling me that it would get 20mpg city and 28 highway. I had my doubts, based on what I have read online and what others have told me about the cars.

Much to my surprise, I calculated the mileage to be an average of 24.9mpg, with a mix of highway and city driving, with some heavy acceleration (more highway than city).

Needless to say, I'm happy. :-) Just ordered some parts for the car and now contemplating what I should add next. I just thought I would share my excitement!

Clayto
Old 02-27-2012, 07:54 PM
04camaroeater
1st Gear Member

Thats awesome. I was getting around 23 in my 04 but I am getting 25 on average in my 98
Old 02-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Phaxtor
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 04camaroeater
Thats awesome. I was getting around 23 in my 04 but I am getting 25 on average in my 98
I get right around the same in my 03... and its a big improvement from my last car... when I told my friends I was buying a gt they all said "thank god you'll be able to finally keep gas in the tank".. I was driving an 02 expedition getting an average of 12 haha
Old 02-27-2012, 08:08 PM
supermario
2nd Gear Member

I just came back from Vegas and i got 25mpg highway. I have a bone stock Gt. Im going put a CAI, Tune, udp's and see if mpg increase.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

I've averaged 26mpg and 19mpg driving the same stretch of highway (300 mi round trip). All depends on how you drive it!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

Double Post

Last edited by Syracuse315; 02-27-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:39 AM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

MPG is something that I've been all over since I got a stang which I know is weird seeing as it is a muscle car with a V8 under the hood but nevertheless I knew that something was there on the horizon for our stangs and I would like to share what I've learned that increases our MPG. I pissed a lot of people off before because I was asking some really in-depth questions so if this gets deleted than I guess they still remember me. LOL!

Weight reduction- apparently according to fueleconomy.gov every 100lbs you drop off of a car is 1 mpg you gain. Other than throwing out random parts from your car like the back seats (on average about 50lbs) I figure I'll mention some of the other things that help shave off weight like a tubular k-member (70 pounds if from UPR and chromoly), aluminum block (50-75lbs), carbon fiber hood (about 35-50lbs from what I've heard).

Mods- It's rumored that getting an aluminum driveshaft gets you 1 mpg extra but I have yet to test it along with ceramic wheel bearings which get 1 mpg per axle (unfortunately our GT's can only use on set on the back if I remember correctly but Cobra owners can use both axles and have reported getting on average 2mpg better). CAI, long tube headers, x-pipe, exhaust, all help a good amount and with a good tune I personally got 30-35mpg highway (and this is what made people get mad at me because no one believed me but w/e. I know what I got.) but not much of a difference on the street. Aerodynamics is also supposed to help but I haven't tested it personally yet. The biggest and most costly is a transmission swap. The lower your final gear ration the better your mpg becomes since you're spinning the motor a lot less and therefore consuming less fuel. I personally called Tremec and asked what mpg increase could I expect from a swap to their sexy T-56 magnum with the tempting .50 final gear ratio (ours is .68) and they said that the increase was 5 mpg highway on average.

Controversial- gears...... This is the dreaded one. Some people say that when you go up to a higher gear ratio like 3.73's or 4.10's etc that your city mileage goes up but your highway cruising mpg goes down. I have stock gears but a lot of people confirm the same on this forum.

All this data has come from relentless online searching of ways to increase mpg without dropping power from our cars. Needless to say that this was VERY hard to get this out of people but over the years I have done it. Now once you step on it than these gains go out of the window as you have more power from the above mods but if you can shift early like around 2000-2500rpms than you can achieve these gains. Personally I have my Aeroforce gauges to flash me at 2000rpms so I know to shift but that's just me. Lastly and most importantly, aggressive driving will KILL YOUR MPG so don't race to a light. Try to slow down to a light way ahead of time so that you can catch it and not come to a complete stop and also try to not use your A/C. 2 mpg drop is expected with A/C use on average. It's these complete stops that lower our stangs fuel efficiency along with idling. Anyone feel free to add something that I missed but anyone can feel free to PM me with any questions they may have regarding increasing their MPG. I'll share with you anything I know.

Last edited by Dragonus18; 02-28-2012 at 12:41 AM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 02-28-2012, 12:50 AM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragonus18
MPG is something that I've been all over since I got a stang which I know is weird seeing as it is a muscle car with a V8 under the hood but nevertheless I knew that something was there on the horizon for our stangs and I would like to share what I've learned that increases our MPG. I.
Damn nice information!!!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Just trying to help everyone out.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:26 AM
clayto

Thumbs up

Great post, Dragonus18. It sounds like you've done your research. I haven't heard the 1mpg better for each 100 pounds comparison before - makes sense.

I closely watch my mileage as well, despite driving a V8. I do have CAI, Long Tube Headers, and exhaust and I'm certain those help with the mileage like you said. But definitely the most significant factor in mileage is the angle of your right foot.

Quick Reply: Gas mileage numbers are in