4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need Help Please, Lemon Deal

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 11:08 PM
beachbum4liff

Default Need Help Please, Lemon Deal

Helly everyone, my first post on the forum as i bought my first mustang. So i bought a 2003 gt few days ago. Saw it up on craigslist and offered the guy a low amount and he took it. When I saw the car, i guess i over looked a lot of things
It is a low mile stang 5 speed. need some work though. After installing a new front bumper, wheel walls, hood latch, and windshield fluid tank and lines, I noticed a lot of things wrong with it that i didn't notice in the purchase.

First thing was gas cap had a slight milky residue on just the cap. I pulled the dip stick out and it was normal oil

Intake had no filter on it and was barely clamped on.

Radiator support was screwed together in place and has many minor dents.

NO DRIVER AIRBAG(CANT BELIEVE I MISSED THAT ONE)

Car seems to miss fire while warming it up (assumed new sparks, coil packs, or the intake would fix that up)

The main thing I'm more worried about is the wiring. It looks like their used to be lambo doors on it and he took it off and so redid the wiring but it also looks like some half *** rigged it and will need some serious taking car of. All the instrument panel lights work and only the air bag and every once in a while abs comes on.

Just wanted to get some suggestions on where to go from here. I know this is going to be a fixer upper but, I'm willing to put the time and patience into it since i finally got my mustang

Much appreciated for any answers

2003 gt 4.6l 5 speed
Old 04-02-2012, 01:00 AM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to the forum. May I ask how many miles and how much you paid? Post a couple pics.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:08 AM
02GTman
3rd Gear Member

Welcome and congrats on your Pony. Pics please.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:52 PM
beachbum4liff

Thanks guys, Paid 2700 and has 53000 on the odo. Got the price down after picking at every little thing that was wrong but I want to get a little hands on with a car finally after getting fed up with my Vdub, Pics will be going up tomorrow morning
Old 04-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

$2700 for a GT with 53k on it? Does it have a salvage title by chance?

Also, and I do not mean this in a jerk kind of way, but how did you bring him down to $2700 and over look it missing the steering wheel air bag?

The mis-fire you are noticing at startup could be the IAC. If it was missing an air filter I'd pull that plumbing off and check the MAF for damage.

Also, change the oil now. ASAP. Before you forget, CHANGE THE OIL!!!! If they neglected the car that badly, I bet theres 10,000 miles on that oil too.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:47 PM
beachbum4liff

After looking into the VIN more, found out that it does have a salvage title. The guy that I bought it said it had a clean title and the Delaware title had nothing on it marking salvage though. I guess that's my loss and I'll just have to rebuild it and keep it after rebuilt inspection.

here are a few pictures I took. Def is going to need to some work but I'm ready to put it into. I also just got some oil so that'll def be coming.

The rear end of the car is fine. The front seems to be the only part that was damaged. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I know I'll be getting some "why did you buy it remarks" but, like i said, it was a stupid.

I will be taking off all the sensors and prob cleaning them properly before I do anything. putting a stock intake back on with K&N filter. Prob redo the battery wires to make sure i get a good clean connection.

I'll put a video up soon to show the misfiring
Old 04-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

your pictures didnt show up. You need 50 posts before you can attach images. I suggest you get a photobucket account and link from there.

I guess a lesson learned on your title. Next time.. "Show me the Carfax!"
Old 04-03-2012, 02:53 PM
beachbum4liff

Old 04-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

I wont lecture you on why you should or shouldn't have bought it. Engine has low miles as you stated, that's a plus. It has a Cobra 13" front brake kit on it. That'd sell for $400 by itself.

For what you paid for it, it may make you a few bucks parting it out. I just think it'd cost you a lot of money to fix it up. Plus with the title flagged salvage its not gonna be worth much if you ever decide to sell it.

Any interior pics?

For grins, make a list of the obvious parts you need and check out MPS Auto Salvage for pricing
Old 04-03-2012, 03:19 PM
beachbum4liff

Thank you. I might start making that list tomorrow and i'll post inter pics as well. Interior is fairly clean. power seats still work and etc.

So not working tossing more money into it ?

Quick Reply: Need Help Please, Lemon Deal