4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

tuned vs not tuned headers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:38 AM
timothyphicks02

Default tuned vs not tuned headers.

I understand that tuned headers help with swirl, pulse and vacuum pulling exhaust out of the other tubes but how big is the tq and hp gains? Im not building a track car by any means. mainly a fun dd. so Im deciding what set up I want to go with. I have BBK LTs BBK catted H and an unknown exhaust at the moment and love the sound deep and mean. so If the gain isnt too great Im just going to replace my current set up. If I do replace with something else Im looking at Kooks LT and catted X. It a power vs sound issue.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:17 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

There is no such thing as "untuned" headers, unless there is someone out there deliberately making crappy headers.

They are all designed to emphasize power in certain rpm ranges--it's just that some are designed better than others, and that sometimes finding out what range the designer targeted can be a lot like pulling teeth.

Here's a good Headers 101 document from S&S, who unfortunately are no longer with us...
Old 04-28-2012, 03:06 AM
timothyphicks02

oh ok. Ill read that link here in a min. i just noticed some say tuned (kooks) and some dont (BBK). I was told the dif was equal distant tubes and the order in which they are arranged into the collector based on firing order and not all makers do this. The ones that do increase tq and hp more. so are the gains between the 2 brands not too different?
Old 04-28-2012, 03:27 AM
timothyphicks02

ok ive read it and it does explain a few things Ive wondered about. but still is there a huge difference between the brands?
Old 04-28-2012, 04:09 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by timothyphicks02
oh ok. Ill read that link here in a min. i just noticed some say tuned (kooks) and some dont (BBK). I was told the dif was equal distant tubes and the order in which they are arranged into the collector based on firing order and not all makers do this.
Any maker of headers that does not apply those considerations to the design of their product should not be making headers--those points are the reason for creating long tube headers in the first place.

The ones that do increase tq and hp more. so are the gains between the 2 brands not too different?
The reputation of the maker should be the primary consideration. Mass market headers like BBK, Pacesetter, Pypes, etc, are made to a price point that precludes extensive research. They are often rip-offs of the high-end manufacturer's designs. In this range you are correct, their is not much difference between brands from a performance perspective--however differences in choice of materials and construction quality can be significant.

Kooks, and others like the now gone S&S, design and produce the best product they can, and then figure out how much they need to charge to make money.

One other consideration is material and finish. Chrome plating is pretty but will not stay that way on a DD, ceramic coated mild steel is good if the coating is a real ceramic like Jet-Hot and not just rattle-can paint. Stainless is the best in terms of heat transfer (stainless steel has much lower thermal conductivity than mild steel), ceramic coated stainless would be the very best.

Forget about header wrappings on a DD; it will trap moisture and all kinds of crap that will shorten the life of the headers, and can insulate so well the hot spots occur that can weaken the tubes and even cause them to burn through.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:50 AM
timothyphicks02

I appreciate the info a lot. I like getting knowledgeable answers as much as possible. Im looking for a ceramic coated set I already know that. I know kooks is a good brand but what are 2 or three more brands that are trusted? or stay away from? my BBK set up is what was on the car when I bought it about 2 months ago. Im redoing the entire suspension and exhaust.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:00 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Headers are one of those "you get what you pay for" things. Don't bottom feed, and there's no need to go to the top end unless you have the $$ and want the very best there is.

Two things life has taught me about buying things are:
  • Buying the cheapest there is will far more often than not get you the cheapest there is.

• No one was ever sorry they bought the best there is.
Other than that I have never had good results with anything from Pacesetter, I would suggest searching the net for reviews of any that you consider--keeping in mind that people with problems comment more often than those who had no issues, and that the quality of the installer and installation will affect end results. Look for the number of bad reviews and for patterns...
Old 04-28-2012, 12:40 PM
timothyphicks02

Will do. A friend told me a long time ago "cheap, fast, reliable, pick 2". Money isn't too much of an issue for me, especially if it'll save me from having to do it again down the road before I have to. Being new to these cars and engine I'm most certainly learning a lot. I've read all of jazzer's links in his description and some of the stickies. If there are any links you have at the tips of your fingers that give a good at least semi simple explanation please send them.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:49 PM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

I am not sure I understand.....

You already have LT's on your car, but want to buy new LT's?
Old 04-29-2012, 03:30 AM
timothyphicks02

Yes I have BBK LTs BBK catted H. but I hit a curb and bent the headers a little flat on the bottom. Plus I like knowing exactly what is on my car and the condition its in. I have an exhaust leak I believe is coming from the headers portion of the exhaust system. so Id be taking them off anyway, I might just replace them with new ones or something better.