4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:20 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Overdrive light blinking?

Old 04-30-2012, 12:37 PM
FormlessGT
1st Gear Member

Default Overdrive light blinking?

Starting today when I started up my car this morning, my O/D light started blinking. Periodically it would stop blinking for a random amount of time and start up again.

Yesterday I had just had my transmission flushed and I put new oil in it. I took it for a 70 mile cruise yesterday and I'm wondering ig all that driving immediatly after is affecting it? And no I wasn't driving it hard, I was very careful on that part.

The car's shifting feels smooth as before the light started blinking so it all feels as it should

Any ideas?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:37 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

From the Owner's Manual:

"O/D off (if equipped) Illuminates when the Transmission Control Switch (TCS), refer to
Overdrive control in the Controls and Features chapter, has been pushed turning the transmission overdrive function OFF. When the light is on, the transmission does not
operate in the overdrive mode, refer to the Driving chapter for transmission function and operation.

The light may also flash steadily if a transmission malfunction is detected. If the light does not come on when the Transmission Control Switch is depressed or if the light flashes steadily, have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, damage to the
transmission could occur.
"

The shop manual adds nothing to that and simply points to the detailed diagnostic tests--my first thought would be that some electrical connector got knocked loose or was not reconnected securely...
Old 04-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

check the fluid level. what type did u put in there for new fluid?
Old 04-30-2012, 03:44 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Scan it and see what the trans temp is reading. I'm willing to bet it is reading around 600* when it is cold. I had the same thing happen to my 05 F150. A sensor went bad, the sensor is cheap and can be changed by dropping the pan. The bad side my sensor went bad because of excessive metal in the fluid from some type of failure. Truck shifted fine and drove fine but Ford put a new trans in it for me.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

As said above when that happened to my auto stang back in 2009 it was the trans temp sensor.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Would a tuner pull a trouble code?

Or whatever Autozone has to diagnose?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:42 PM
FormlessGT
1st Gear Member

Well, since I work at a Ford Dealership I could get it serviced very cheap. Bought a new sensor and a few other cheap things they recommended. Probably going to bring it back tomorrow to get it changed. Might be something with the solenoids as well.

How long did it take to change the sensor?

Thanks guys.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FormlessGT
Well, since I work at a Ford Dealership I could get it serviced very cheap. Bought a new sensor and a few other cheap things they recommended. Probably going to bring it back tomorrow to get it changed. Might be something with the solenoids as well.

How long did it take to change the sensor?

Thanks guys.
You may want to get the code read first to make sure exactly what it is before you order parts here and there. I think alltogether when I dropped my car off for it it was like $140 for parts and labor it didnt take too long. I coudnt work on it myself in the complex I stayed in at the time so I wouldnt know the exact time it takes. But shops usually take forever and it too the shop like an hour++ to do mine if I remember right.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:55 PM
FormlessGT
1st Gear Member

Update:

I guess there was too much fluid in the transmission. Took some out and now it is at it's adequate level. It still flashes, but not nearly as it did before. Do you think that was the problem? I'll let it sit for the rest of the night and see what happens.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:53 PM
FormlessGT
1st Gear Member

Update 2: Drove it to work to have it worked on but scheduled the repair for Friday morning. The whole time driving it to work and home it did not blink once! Went for a drive to get lunch about an hour later and it blinked the whole time. The thing is so inconsistent so I imagine it's the sensor inside.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overdrive light blinking?