4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

PI swap done, I've got questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 10:52 PM
98mustangkidd
1st Gear Member

Default PI swap done, I've got questions

So I got my PI swap done tonight, but I've got a question about one thing I noticed... while I'm going down the road coasting with a little throttle to move me along my car sputters when it's around or about 1500 rpms in any gear and gets worse as the rpms go down. It also does this taking off or even backing up, any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Old 04-27-2012, 10:58 PM
russellthelovemuscle
2nd Gear Member

you might need a tune
Old 04-27-2012, 10:58 PM
russellthelovemuscle
2nd Gear Member

i think the pi heads changes your compression ratio and your ecu might not understand
Old 04-27-2012, 11:27 PM
98mustangkidd
1st Gear Member

Alright, I have a tuner, just haven't loaded the tune so I'll try that out tmr and see how it goes. Thanks
Old 04-28-2012, 09:16 AM
madjimmax
1st Gear Member

Most definitely needs a tune, when I did the swap I put in Comp Cams 102700 cams and my car wouldn't even really run until I put a tune on it. What I mean is it started but ran like total crap, once the Diablo tuner and tune was installed it ran awesome
Old 04-28-2012, 10:07 AM
98mustangkidd
1st Gear Member

Well I put my tune on this morning and took it out, backing out of the driveway it started to do it instantly really bad. Then going down the road it runs good but once it hits about 1500 it just starts to sputter and sound like its going to shut off but one you give it some gas to get the rpms back up it runs like a champ.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:07 PM
98mustangkidd
1st Gear Member

So my dad looked at my car and he saw that the pcv filter was off on the passenger side valve cover. I haven't gotten a chance to drive it yet but could that be the problem. Im also throwing a code P0401.. it says it as something to do with the egr. But I think it might be the little canister on the passenger side tucked up under there? Does anyone know what that code is for?
Old 04-29-2012, 09:53 PM
98mustangkidd
1st Gear Member

Anyone have any suggestions? I drove it today and it's seemed to go away a little but but still there sometimes. I ordered the canister, hopefully getting that tmr. Probably will check my egr out to see if there is any build up in there. Other than that she's running freaking great.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:49 PM
JeremyB
1st Gear Member

EGR is the valve on the drivers side of the intake, it has a pipe that runs into the drivers side exhaust manifold, if that has been taken off, you just need to delete it in the tune, it wouldn't cause the issues you are having though

It sounds like there is either a vacuum leak or one of the hoses is off of the intake, that causes issues similar to what you are having, check everything on the intake, make sure there are no leaks
Old 05-01-2012, 02:43 PM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

my car does the same thing only around 1000-1500 rpms while cruizing. not really noticeable most of the time. Its more of just an annoyance than a problem. I've had my car tuned and it still does it. I'm not concerned about it all because it doesn't affect the performance of hurt fuel mileage at all. I personally think its because i ground off the swirl dam in the combustion chamber in the heads thinking it would unshroud the intake vavle. but instead it just left me with lower compression and a little burble while cruising. fml wish i knew then what i do now!!!!

Quick Reply: PI swap done, I've got questions