4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:05 PM
DIMEBAG6025
1st Gear Member

Angry Emissions

To anyone out there that can help!!! I have an 08 Gt & recently put a set of Kooks Kustom Headers w/ catted x-pipe & also outfitted it with the VMP 500hp kit. I was told that this was all street legal when i bought it from the numerous vendors i purchased it from. Well,after installing everything & downloading the custom tune i took it to get the emissions test here in Colorado & it FAILED BIG TIME!!! Ive been told that its the tune & ive been told that its the cats that i have on it. Just curious if anyone else has the same setup or close to the same setup i have & if it passed emissions? I feel like im stuck with a 25k boat anchor after this has happened!!! Dont know if i was mislead when i purchased the exhaust or if the other upgrades are the problem?? Please let me know what any of you guys think about this? Justin at VMP has been great & has tried to help me but with no sucsess. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!! Thanks fellow gearheads!!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:26 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You haven't provided enough information, specifically why did it fail? Were the I/M monitor tests not all completed (this would cause a P1000 trouble code), did it fail a visual inspection, or did the actual emissions test fail?
Old 05-10-2012, 07:27 AM
BLKSTANGER
2nd Gear Member

I don't think you will pass without anything but the stock tune. Get the stock tune back and after the test revert back to the good one. Aftermarket CATs are not as efficient as stock cats. You still might be able to get it to pass with them though as long as they are legal in your state.

Like Cliffyk said tell us the reason for failing.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:10 AM
DIMEBAG6025
1st Gear Member

Default emissions

Originally Posted by cliffyk
You haven't provided enough information, specifically why did it fail? Were the I/M monitor tests not all completed (this would cause a P1000 trouble code), did it fail a visual inspection, or did the actual emissions test fail?
It passed the visual inspection. The parts it failed were the HC GPM-limits were 1.20, my readings were 2.7352. also the CO GPM-limits are 15.0000,my readings were 29.0666 & it also failed the NOx GPM-limits are 1.5000, my readings were 1.9595. As you can see they all failed misrabely!! It says these high readings are from unburned fuel, when the air/fuel mix is too rich & A result of high combustion temps & or high high combustion pressure.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:13 AM
DIMEBAG6025
1st Gear Member

Default emissions

It has no trouble code & the car has no C.E.L on. Just cant figure it out!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:16 AM
DIMEBAG6025
1st Gear Member

Default emissions

Originally Posted by BLKSTANGER
I don't think you will pass without anything but the stock tune. Get the stock tune back and after the test revert back to the good one. Aftermarket CATs are not as efficient as stock cats. You still might be able to get it to pass with them though as long as they are legal in your state.

Like Cliffyk said tell us the reason for failing.
I still have the stock tune i can put back on it but wont that mess up the components on the car? Dont want to bomb the motor just for the emissions test! Dont know much about the tuning,hope that doesnt sound too stupid to say!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:37 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by DIMEBAG6025
It passed the visual inspection. The parts it failed were the HC GPM-limits were 1.20, my readings were 2.7352. also the CO GPM-limits are 15.0000,my readings were 29.0666 & it also failed the NOx GPM-limits are 1.5000, my readings were 1.9595. As you can see they all failed misrabely!! It says these high readings are from unburned fuel, when the air/fuel mix is too rich & A result of high combustion temps & or high high combustion pressure.
I would say that with your mods and those results, the cats have completely failed from running rich. You will have to replace them, but first get a real tune from a real live "hand's on" tuner first or you will burn them out again...
Old 05-10-2012, 04:04 PM
DIMEBAG6025
1st Gear Member

Default emissions

I would say that with your mods and those results, the cats have completely failed from running rich. You will have to replace them, but first get a real tune from a real live "hand's on" tuner first or you will burn them out again...
Thanks for the help. I had it tested after the tune was modified by the guy i purchased the tuner from & it was way closer to passing this time. As for the cats being ruined,do you think they would be ruined since ive only put about 150 miles on the car since ive put the exhaust on. i got it tuned with what is said to be one of the best tuner guys in Florida. when u say a hands on tuner are you talking a shop with a dyno? Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:51 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by DIMEBAG6025
Thanks for the help. I had it tested after the tune was modified by the guy i purchased the tuner from & it was way closer to passing this time. As for the cats being ruined,do you think they would be ruined since ive only put about 150 miles on the car since ive put the exhaust on. i got it tuned with what is said to be one of the best tuner guys in Florida. when u say a hands on tuner are you talking a shop with a dyno? Thanks again for the help.
With only 150 miles the cats may be OK if you can fix the overly rich problem.

By "hand's on" I mean that the tuner was in the same room/garage/whatever as the engine while it was being tuned--I.e. not an email, "mail order" tune. A "dyno" is a convenient instrument for measuring the impact of changes made to the tune, but is far from being an essential tuning tool.

Was the car actually in Florida when it was tuned? If not did the tuner know you were in Colorado? According to NetState.com the lowest altitude in Colorado is 3,315 ft above sea level, the highest over 14,000 ft. This means that any tune optimised for Florida (where the mean altitude is 100ft and the highest out it the Panhandle is 345 ft) will run rich anywhere in Colorado.

The MAF can correct this to some extent, but not that much if the tune was tweaked for the highest performance here.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:13 PM
DIMEBAG6025
1st Gear Member

Default emissions

With only 150 miles the cats may be OK if you can fix the overly rich problem.

By "hand's on" I mean that the tuner was in the same room/garage/whatever as the engine while it was being tuned--I.e. not an email, "mail order" tune. A "dyno" is a convenient instrument for measuring the impact of changes made to the tune, but is far from being an essential tuning tool.

Was the car actually in Florida when it was tuned? If not did the tuner know you were in Colorado? According to NetState.com the lowest altitude in Colorado is 3,315 ft above sea level, the highest over 14,000 ft. This means that any tune optimised for Florida (where the mean altitude is 100ft and the highest out it the Panhandle is 345 ft) will run rich anywhere in Colorado.

The MAF can correct this to some extent, but not that much if the tune was tweaked for the highest performance here.
It was not in Florida when it was tuned. I had it tuned by Justin at VMP tuning in Florida & after all these issues he does know im in Colorado. I will try & find a person that knows how to tune it here in Colorado. Sucks to spend all this money & i cant even get tags for it!! Thanks for all the help & ill let everyone know what happens tomorrow. Mite be an 08 Gt for sale for cheap tomorrow nite!!! Lol Thanks again!!

Quick Reply: Emissions