4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Oil on Spark Plugs / CoP / Cyl Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 02:14 PM
draidin

Default Oil on Spark Plugs / CoP / Cyl Misfire

Hello Everyone,

1st post here and looking for advice. Please know that I have researched these topics on this and other forums.

My car is a 2002 Mustang GT manual with 143,000 miles.

Over the past few months I have noticed occasional blue smoke puff out of my tail pipes when taking off from a stop after the engine is warmed up.
After checking the oil levels, the oil does go down a lot and requires 2 or 3 quarts in-between regular changes.

More recently the car began to loose power and idle rough. SES lights and codes indicate P0316 and P306.

I moved the coil over pack from cly 6 to 5 and had autozone check the codes again. No change. I moved the fuel injector from cyl 6 to 5 and had autozone check the codes again. No change.

after about a week the code and engine misfire stopped. Then after a couple of weeks it returned. This time with codes P0316 and P0307.

I changed the crank position sensor. But no fix. So I began removing coil packs and noticing oil on the boots and in the boots. Especially the CoP from cyl 7 had execisive oil. I pulled out six of the spark plugs and they had some oil on them from the top down to the threads.

My car is a mess and I am having trouble finding solutions.

Sorry if the post is TLDR. Please offer some advice or ideas if you can. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:01 AM
draidin

my research indicates that if there is oil on spark plugs then one cause could be bad valve cover seals. But I do not understand how bad valve cover seals affect the spark plugs since they are off to the side.

Anyway, I went ahead and removed the valve cover on the driver side. That was a lot fun. Cant wait to put it back on! haha. The seal looks to be in great condition. There are no tears or breaks and the rubber is soft and flexible.

I did read that bad valve stems can cause oil on spark plugs. But would one or two bad valve stems cause oil to get on all the plugs?
Old 09-30-2012, 05:56 PM
sailorflavor
2nd Gear Member

When was the last time you changed your spark plugs? And how hard were they to get out and put back in.?
Old 10-01-2012, 06:39 AM
draidin

Hi Sailor,

The last time I changed the spark plugs was in the summer 2010 with NGK TR55. They are easy to get in and out.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:57 PM
sailorflavor
2nd Gear Member

Ok not doubting your mechanical abilities but you most likely stripped your threads and it is causing oil leak by. Take a look at what plugs are producing oil. Let me know.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:24 PM
draidin

Hi Sailor, thanks for your reply.

Striped threads? hmm..... well, I will take another look that spark plugs.

Also I am going run a compression test. I will post the results in a day or two.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:06 PM
sailorflavor
2nd Gear Member

Ok but you cannot look at the spark plugs. The damage will not be evident trust me. But the compression test should show some good results on lower compression.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:48 AM
draidin

So are you thinking when I first put in the plugs two years ago I stripped all them? And that it has take that long for the oil to build up in the wells? Up to now I have not been taking the plugs in and out.

The plugs that have oil are 5,6,7,8. And I have only looked at two from the passenger side. 7 has been the worst.

Alright, hopefully I will have the compression test done tonight after work.

Have a good one and I will post my test results then.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:34 PM
sailorflavor
2nd Gear Member

Well it is a common problem in our heads to have them strip out and it is a common thing to have thread inserts put in.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:30 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Compression check said cylinder(s)

Quick Reply: Oil on Spark Plugs / CoP / Cyl Misfire