4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Quick question for 99-04 GT auto trans guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 11:20 PM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Default Quick question for 99-04 GT auto trans guys

For all the 99-04 GT owners with auto trans, what rpm are you cruising at when going 65 mph?

I've had 4.10 gears for quite some time so I've gotten used to seeing 2.5k rpm when going 65 mph. But now I've put 3.27's back in because I spend a lot of time on highways.

But currently with the stock tune I am cruising exactly at 2k rpm when going 65 mph. Is this what everyone is getting? For some reason I could swear that my car had done around 1.7-1.8k rpm when going 65, and 70 at 2k rpm. I do feel that the previous tune I've received from Bama for the 4.10 gears messed it up quite a bit. The shifts were off, and I had too many problems with their tunes. So I'm hoping the tunes didn't cause permanent problems to the stock ecu parameters.

Last edited by NewEdgeStang00; 11-08-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:58 PM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

I have also been getting this strange sound when the car is at 1k rpm going 30-35 mph. I thought exhaust leak at first, had it all checked out. But still can't figure out exactly what it is now

this video was taken with camera right above the gas pedal.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:33 AM
Dubwhat
1st Gear Member

Lol. My car sounds like that but it's the exhaust. It'd be considers open.

Not liking the comment about Bama. I just put a tune on my car from them and when calling them reporting issues, I was treated like a retard.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:03 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by NewEdgeStang00
For all the 99-04 GT owners with auto trans, what rpm are you cruising at when going 65 mph?

I've had 4.10 gears for quite some time so I've gotten used to seeing 2.5k rpm when going 65 mph. But now I've put 3.27's back in because I spend a lot of time on highways.

But currently with the stock tune I am cruising exactly at 2k rpm when going 65 mph. Is this what everyone is getting? For some reason I could swear that my car had done around 1.7-1.8k rpm when going 65, and 70 at 2k rpm. I do feel that the previous tune I've received from Bama for the 4.10 gears messed it up quite a bit. The shifts were off, and I had too many problems with their tunes. So I'm hoping the tunes didn't cause permanent problems to the stock ecu parameters.
NewEdgeStang00,

Once you reflash the PCM to stock, there's no way for only half of the parameters to change successfully, so I'm very confident your stock tune is complete. Plus, the only thing we adjust for new gears is the Speedo, the RPM will be accurate no matter what gears your Mustang has.

Now I would love the restore your faith back in Bama tunes! If there's any shift-points or any other issues you were experiencing, I'm sure we'll be able to resolve the issue. Shoot me a PM with any previous order number of yours and I'll get all of your info over to my lead Bama tuner asap! He'll be able to get you squared away with just the shift-points you're looking for.

I'll be looking forward to your PM!

Shane

Originally Posted by Dubwhat
Lol. My car sounds like that but it's the exhaust. It'd be considers open.

Not liking the comment about Bama. I just put a tune on my car from them and when calling them reporting issues, I was treated like a retard.
Dubwhat,

I'm really sorry you were treated wrong when you called in. That is definitely not the way we want to do business! Can you give me the date you called in and any previous order number of yours, so I can have the phone records pulled and see what happened there? If there's a problem internally, I need to make sure it is taken care of asap!

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help!

Shane
Old 11-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Fivaldrood
2nd Gear Member

That seems about right.

I just put in 4.10s and jumped about 5-600 RPM going 80. If I remember right 2.4-2.5k is where I sat at 80 with stock gear, now I sit exactly at 3k.

I've only had 1 problem with a Bama tune, called their support and a new tune was emailed to me within 5 minutes and like Shane said, no way for their tune to mess up your RPMs.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:14 PM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for your reply ShaneLesky, I have always had excellent customer service with AmericanMuscle and have been a long time customer. (I think the total amount of parts I bought exceed the cost of what I bought my car for).

So now I am completely dumbfounded. This morning the shifts were still acting funny and causing that strange racket coming below the car. But when I got onto the highway, a strange thought ran thru my head that maybe by some chance if I yank it out of overdrive and back again it will reset something. I have not touched the o/d off button ever since I bought this car. So I pressed the button while going 65 mph, the car jerks up in RPM's then I set it back into o/d. Then the car drove perfect, exactly like it used to stock. All the shifts point were like where they used to be, and that sound is gone.

So I don't know why taking it off o/d and back in would fix it, but it did. And that loud sound I was getting in the video has disappeared too. I know electrical issues are always finicky, and I've always heard strange stories, but I'm completely shocked at how this issue was resolved.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:48 AM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Driving again this morning and the problems back and I think I've narrowed it down. What speed are your autos entering o/d at? At light acceleration my car is entering o/d slightly before 35 mph, and that noise from the video starts. I hit the button to take off o/d, the rpms jump up at noise disappears. So before I jump to thinking my o/d parameters are messed up, what speed at light acceleration are your autos entering o/d at?

I thought my auto used to enter o/d above 40 mph under light acceleration. Which would explain why this sound goes away once I reach that speed or take it off o/d
Old 11-10-2012, 06:07 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

your rpm is correct. This gear calculator comes in handy http://paladinmicro.com/pmicro.php?f...InGearCalc.htm Your OD may be starting to act up. Under easy accel the 4R70W shifts into OD way too early which causes additional stress, hence the ODs go south on a lot of them. Not that all do, but if anything does it's almost always the OD. To remedy this I either give her more gas in 3rd to see that she shifts when I prefer her to shift or I just manually shift OD on at 45 mph at the earliest. Hope this helps.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:56 AM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rygi23
your rpm is correct. This gear calculator comes in handy http://paladinmicro.com/pmicro.php?f...InGearCalc.htm Your OD may be starting to act up. Under easy accel the 4R70W shifts into OD way too early which causes additional stress, hence the ODs go south on a lot of them. Not that all do, but if anything does it's almost always the OD. To remedy this I either give her more gas in 3rd to see that she shifts when I prefer her to shift or I just manually shift OD on at 45 mph at the earliest. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the input. I've also resorted to just giving it gas so it downshifts out of o/d or just coasting enough to not put strain on it. Would that sound in the video seem like a symptom of this happening? I am just hoping it's only an exhaust leak.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:23 AM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the input. I've also resorted to just giving it gas so it downshifts out of o/d or just coasting enough to not put strain on it. Would that sound in the video seem like a symptom of this happening? I am just hoping it's only an exhaust leak.
dowhshifting back out of OD then going back into OD would increase wear. I'd say delaying the shift into OD by just easing into the gas more in 3rd gear would be easier on your tranny. The vid does sound like an exhaust leak. Stock exhaust?

Quick Reply: Quick question for 99-04 GT auto trans guys