4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Weird problem!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 11:38 AM
PRmustang

Default Weird problem!!!!

Just today while driving to work my car just shut off going 50 miles per hour!!! Luckily it just turned back on and I never lost control, but it was scary. I have a radar detector that beeps when it senses low voltage, and it's been doing it for awhile, but the car had never died on me. And it only does it higher speeds, not while cruising around town or in traffic jams. I have an aftermarket amp, but It's nothing out of the ordinary, and it was installed long ago and it never gave me problems, so I don't know if that could be it. Another thing is, one of my battery terminals is broken, so it is not properly tightened to the battery pole. My question is, could the broken terminal be it, or could the alternator just be going bad?? Any help you gearheads can give me is appreaciated!!! Oh, and it's a 99 Gt 5 speed.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:45 AM
02StanGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Weird problem!!!!

The battery is just there to start the car and help with any excessive power use. Sort of like a surge tank. Essentially, once you got it started you could run on just the alternator, just as long as you don't put a drain on the electrical system. Wouldn't hurt to change the battery though. Go to Auto Zone and have them check your alternator. They can do it while its in the car.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: PRmustang

Just today while driving to work my car just shut off going 50 miles per hour!!! Luckily it just turned back on and I never lost control, but it was scary. I have a radar detector that beeps when it senses low voltage, and it's been doing it for awhile, but the car had never died on me. And it only does it higher speeds, not while cruising around town or in traffic jams. I have an aftermarket amp, but It's nothing out of the ordinary, and it was installed long ago and it never gave me problems, so I don't know if that could be it. Another thing is, one of my battery terminals is broken, so it is not properly tightened to the battery pole. My question is, could the broken terminal be it, or could the alternator just be going bad?? Any help you gearheads can give me is appreaciated!!! Oh, and it's a 99 Gt 5 speed.
If the battery post is loose then that could be adding to the problem.

If the negative side is what's not hooking up properly then you could be losing ground and cause the car to 'stall'. If the Positive side is what's not hooking up properly, you could cause a spike in your electrical system and fry some electronics (Car would still run though if the positive was loose on the battery)

Fix the battery connector and have the charging system checked. THEN see if you need a new battery. No reason to throw money away.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:09 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

Take it to Sears, they'll test your entire electrical system for free.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:52 PM
ProjMach1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FWP!

and then **** up your car royaly for 12.95
Old 09-29-2005, 07:59 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ProjMach1

ORIGINAL: FWP!

and then **** up your car royaly for 12.95

[sm=bs.gif]

I've been taking my cars to Sears for years for things like alignments and electrical system testings without a problem. And I don't know what you're talking about that cost 12.95 so GFY.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:17 AM
jrock
1st Gear Member

yeah sears doesnt do bad work, how can you not perform a task that is all computer monitored and run anyway? alignment and checking stuff is all done with machines
Old 09-30-2005, 01:51 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

Well if you have a handheld tuner you could always look for codes... see if it throws anything back. You dont have it listed... but somepeople dont post all of there mods. Its just an idea. I think autozone has a universal code scanner where they can scan there.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:09 AM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rbstang

Well if you have a handheld tuner you could always look for codes... see if it throws anything back. You dont have it listed... but somepeople dont post all of there mods. Its just an idea. I think autozone has a universal code scanner where they can scan there.

Yup I've taken my Mustang to autozone, asked to borrow their code scanner, no codes in my ECU, made me feel a little better.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:37 PM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

Alternator. No question. The battery issue would contribute to trouble starting the car. Like everyone said, get it to AutoZone, ask to borrow a voltage meter, and check the alternator. Put the terminals on the battery while the car is on. If you don't get between 12 to 15 volts, your alternator is ****ed. And don't bother with the trouble codes. That's engine/emissions related. Yours is an electrical problem, and sadly, the computer will never register it.

Quick Reply: Weird problem!!!!