4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help Please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Spray

Default Help Please!!!

Hey guys , I am new to the forum world. But I drive a 2000 GT. The SES light is on and it says it is the camshaft position sensor. I changed it along with a PA Performance 130 AMP alternator. The light is still on and my car is falling on its face around 4000 RPM. I have a 4.10 gear. Can someone please help me? I have no idea what could be causeing it and I do not have the money to take to a shop. Thanks! Much appreciated.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:27 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

What was the trouble code?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 PM
Spray

P0341
Old 01-07-2013, 09:09 PM
Nyke
1st Gear Member

Check the wiring from the sensor and on, it may have shorted, grounded, split itself. If you have a multimeter (Volt OHM meter) you can test the sensor. Also make sure the cam shaft position gear is not damaged, it is a gear on the cam shaft that generates the signals for the position sensor, if it has a chip or a missing tooth it will put that signal on.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:09 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Are you certain it was P0341 and not P0340? I ask because though P0341 is defined it is not generally revealed as a persistent code--it is not even mentioned in the shop manual, you have to go into the tune's source code to see it.

In any event it is a Cam Position sensor error--click here to see the possible causes and diagnostic aids. I realise you stated you had replaced it; however that does not rule out that it might be defective even if new, or that there may be a wiring problem. Check all fuses to make sure they are good--pull them out and LOOK at them, best yet pull them out and check them with a continuity tester--do not rely on other means. Vibration over the years can cause fuses to develop fractures that increase their resistance and limit current flows.

This is not common, but then again you are trying to track down a problem that regular "experienced" mechanics do not seem able to find...
Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Nyke
Check the wiring from the sensor and on, it may have shorted, grounded, split itself. If you have a multimeter (Volt OHM meter) you can test the sensor. Also make sure the cam shaft position gear is not damaged, it is a gear on the cam shaft that generates the signals for the position sensor, if it has a chip or a missing tooth it will put that signal on.
Without a multimeter, and the KSAs to use it, there is no chance of tracking down this problem. I do not mean to be harsh, but that's the fact Jack...
Old 01-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Spray

Yes I ment to put P0340. We checked the sensor with a multimeter and it is good. I am about to check the wiring and the gear. Could this be a possible cause of it loosing power around 4000 RPM? Thanks for your help guys!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Spray

I started to look at the wires and i do not know how i did not catch it when i first changed the cam sensor but it was cut. It could not have been fixed because it was to close to the peice that pluges into the cam sensor so I went to a junkyard today to get one. They did not have any GTs so I pulled one off of a V6.Hopefully it works, if not then I am out $2
Old 01-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Hey man watch out PurpleIcedGT may get mad that you put !!!! On the title of your thread.

Originally Posted by Spray
Hey guys , I am new to the forum world. But I drive a 2000 GT. The SES light is on and it says it is the camshaft position sensor. I changed it along with a PA Performance 130 AMP alternator. The light is still on and my car is falling on its face around 4000 RPM. I have a 4.10 gear. Can someone please help me? I have no idea what could be causeing it and I do not have the money to take to a shop. Thanks! Much appreciated.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:54 PM
Spray

Get mad? What? Oh and to everyone else, it fixed the SES light but not the stubling at 4000. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with not getting enough fuel.