4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

The time has come

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 11:37 PM
BLKSTANG9879
4th Gear Member

Default The time has come

Originally Posted by vfast
12:1 no why bub...it takes a ton to move up 2 points in compression...
</P>

Thank You. Your right, the comp. jumps from 9:0 t 9:5. But it's still a bad mix with a super charger on stock lower end.</P>

Sorry about the f%$ked up info, I was thinkin about a different project from work.</P>
Old 12-19-2003, 12:25 AM
Arioch

Thanks to everyone for the great input. Please keep it coming. </P>

I have every intention of rebuilding the motor; lower end and upper. Before jumping into the rebuild, I want to make sure that I have my plan in place so that as I continue to add on power I don't find that I should have used one type of bearing vs another, a different crank, etc that would require me to tear the engine down again. </P>

I do want to go with a blower sooner than later, but I know the engine will have to be reworked before I can afford it. What I'm hearing so far from co-workers and you guys is:</P>

pi head kit</P>

H or X pipe with flowmasters</P>

larger fuel injectors and throttle body</P>

underdrive pulleys</P>

cold air induction kit</P>

some chip mods?</P>

As far as internal stuff goes, who do you all recomend for cranks, cams, pistons/rings/rods kit, ignition, oil pump, etc. Since I have toget it all done, I'd like todo it right from the start. I'm gonna be pissed if I have to pull the engine more than once because I used the wrong main bearings or something like that. Should I toss my cast block and go with an aluminum one? Thanks again for all the input. Ya'll are really helping out.</P>

Arioch</P>
Old 12-19-2003, 01:55 PM
Snydaleid
2nd Gear Member

Make sure you take it to a machine shop that knows how to do mod motors. There's stuff that needs to be exact. Your deck needs to be withincertain specs and if it's not it will leak. There's other stufftoo Ican't remember everything though. As far as internals go. I've never heard of anyone breaking their stock GT crank before. Some people geta cobra crank. Manley H beam rods are good. I got Diamondpistons. My machine shop was really impressed with their quality. You don't need to toss the stock block unless you really want to. You'll want to get the cobra oil pump. You may want to think about getting the billet gears for it. There have been instances where the gears broke. They're cheap insurance. I'd get a bigger oil pan too. You'll needone with the bigger oil pump.</P>

If you don't have a machine shop in your area that knows how to rebuild mod motors I'd suggest buying a short block. There are a lot of companies that sell them. The price would be about the same to get the shortblock or to rebuild it. I chose to rebuild mine because I wanted to learn more about it. Otherwise I would have just bought the shortblock and been done with it.</P>

If you're getting a blower right away... You don't need underdrive pullies!</P>

I'll be picking my shortblock up this afternoon! </P>

My setup:</P>

-19cc Diamond Dished Pistons</P>

Manley H beam rods</P>

Cobra crank</P>

*EDIT* There was some confusion about the compression ratio. According to Diamond I was supposed to be at 8.5:1 but after the machine shop did all the caculations it came out to 9.47:1.</P><edited><editID>Snydaleid</editID><editDate>37975.5758796296</editDate></edited>