4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Performance Upgrades please help!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 05:00 PM
lucki96gt
3rd Gear Member

Default Performance Upgrades please help!!!!!!!!

Hi. I am new to this forum and I am hoping to get some help with upgrading my car. In Dec. I will have $3,000.00 to invest in my car. I purchased a 1996 stang gt about a month ago. Its green and its an auto with, 78,000 miles. Out of the $3,000.00 I plan to use $1,000 to get some new wheels because by then a will need tires and i rather just get some 17x9 and 17x10.5 with tires(315's on back) for $1,000. Because I really dont like the stock 16's. I was looking into a full exhaust- headers, x or h, and cat back. And one questions is if I just switch mufflers instead of getting a whole cat back will the results be the same or not. With the pricing that i found, the headers, x or h(without cats) , and cat back would be about $1,000. With the other $1,000 i don't know if i should go for throttle and plenum, uderdrives, etc. little different parts or maybe just nitrous. The way it is now i ran it once at the track and best time was 10 flat in 1/8 mile. Also i am planning on getting gears in nov. but not sure which ones to get. the car seems to be in great condition, it is truly a one owner, and after my resurch found out it was a lady in MI. Has great oil pressure and is very smooth, was driven about 9,000 a year since new. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-06-2005, 05:03 PM
LIVIN_LEGEND
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Performance Upgrades please help!!!!!!!!

PI Head Swap or Swap Head PI what ever you want to do first.[X(]
Old 10-06-2005, 05:06 PM
lucki96gt
3rd Gear Member

How much is the swap, what kind of power increase and is there a difference in the two you said
Old 10-06-2005, 05:57 PM
LIVIN_LEGEND
2nd Gear Member

i was just playing.... its the same thing just words reversed..... but seriously it is suggested to do this to 96-98 mustangs because the 99+ have them and 96-98 do not, you can even get one from a 99+ mustang... i do not know all the detals because my came with this, the difference is 96-98 mustangs came with 215hp to the flywheel and then when they upgraded the 99+ it has the PI HEADS and they have 260hp at the flywheel stock

45hp gain..... thats real not like some products that say 10-20 and you get 8.... do a search on the forums to find out more
Old 10-06-2005, 06:20 PM
lucki96gt
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the PI info but price seems a little too steep, seems like if i get the exhuast, a zex wet system 75 shot with all the extras(the kit +purge, gauges, window switch). I would be looking at about $1,000 and have more power than stock PI stangs, when nos is engaged of course.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:38 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lucki96gt

Thanks for the PI info but price seems a little too steep, seems like if i get the exhuast, a zex wet system 75 shot with all the extras(the kit +purge, gauges, window switch). I would be looking at about $1,000 and have more power than stock PI stangs, when nos is engaged of course.

Getting a full exhaust for $1,000 is gonna be tough, if not impossible if you're going with longtube headers. And your NOS setup is probably gonna run you close to a grand as well. You can yank a set of PI heads/cams/intake off of a 99+ GT for pretty cheap. You'll need new studs and gaskets and all that stuff. But, your PI swap will net you more RWHP than your full exhaust, and its always there, not like you NOS. I say, Get your exhaust, full PI swap some 3.73's for your auto, a shift kit, a highstall converter (about 1800-2200) and a transcooler. Leave the wheels and you'll have a nice little sleeper. When your done with all that throw the NOS on it and really turn some heads.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

PI head swap, ditch the header idea, get the catback and an o/r h. The catback and o/r h plus O2 sims will cost about $600+ depending on what you buy. Don't worry about the headers right now because you don't really need the extra flow. With the rest of your money buy gears and a handheld tuner. Depending on the price of your heads that would be close to the mark. I don't know what heads run, but you could go to a junkyard or salvage yard and maybe get a deal. Any money leftover buy tb/plenum/CAI, whichever you prefer/can afford. Save the wheels for when you have more funds. Modding a car isn't cheap, but it's so damn addictive.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:43 PM
LIVIN_LEGEND
2nd Gear Member

trust us everyone regreats not spending their money on the swap and spending it on other parts.....trust us and do the right thing not only for you but for america... what where we talking about again
Old 10-06-2005, 11:41 PM
lucki96gt
3rd Gear Member

Ok tried to find some PI heads for the swap and everyone said around $500 used(salvage yards) I really don't know if thats just the heads or what, and installation is about $300 (I really don't know many mechanics.) if this is all it takes plus about $200 in misc. parts then it sounds good, but other treads are saying things about sprokets cams and intakes. Can someone give me a price for the swap installed including everything. How much should i pay and howmuch is too much?
Old 10-06-2005, 11:57 PM
lucki96gt
3rd Gear Member

Ok tell me what you guys think about this list:
BBK underdrive pullies $110
BBK CAI kit $170
BBK and C&L 75mm throttle body & plenum $335
BBK Full length headers $400
BBK X pipe off road $180
MAC Catback $450
Total 1,650
And with the $350 left over maybe a handheld if it would be effective.
You guys tell me what you think. What kind of hp/tq gains do you think i could see with this plus i will have the 3.73's in by then.

All of your help is greatly appreciated.
THANKS!

Quick Reply: Performance Upgrades please help!!!!!!!!