4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 12:34 PM
the5schlueters
1st Gear Member

I put the cold air intake on mine and the 78mm TB and I didn't notice any gains only thing I found different was the sound.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:04 PM
CalBoy101
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JJ Glo
The problem with that is, both of the tests were done with tunes. They could very well have been different tunes that caused the increase in HP. You need to see a test done with the CAI alone.
JJ, keep in mind that these AM dyno tests were done with the intention of making the parts look as good as possible. The first test was the Bama tune only, and as heavily as they promote their tuning products I doubt they would dog it on that test.

The 2nd test was a bama tune plus the Airraid and it made more than just the bama tune alone.

In my case I was going to get the bama tune (or some kind of tuning product) no matter what, so I don't really care how well the Airraid works with a totally stock tune since I won't ever be running a stock tune.

Comparing the stock intake to the Airraid one visually it looks like its possible that it does improve the flow slightly, its a long path and there is potential to make it flow a little better than the stock system. The Airraid has a nicer looking transition from the air filter into the MAF for example.

If the AM tests were legit then I didn't throw my money down the toilet, if they cooked them then I got took but I don't think they would intentionally put up totally cooked tests.

If that were the case then they would fab up a test to make their featured SR plenum and Slack TB product combo look better, the test they are showing for that combo doesn't show any gain at all over just a CAI alone.

Another poster commented not "noticing" a gain from a CAI and TB, keep in mind we're talking about 10 HP differences here, that's not something you'll be able to accurately measure with the seat of the pants test, even on a dyno detecting that takes some pretty careful testing.

Also Cliff K. has pointed to some tests that show that the plenum appears to have more potential for gain than the TB, replacing the TB without also upgrading the plenum doesn't look like it will get you much, and even replacing both is still looking at a small gain in HP, 5 to 8 HP or so is what we are talking about.

That's unfortunately a common theme with these engines, Ford engineered them so well from the factory that there is not a lot to be gained from bolt-on upgrades. It looks like the brainy thing to do is to resist buying these individual dinky gain parts and instead throw the money in a piggy bank to save up for a blower or turbo.

I'm going to stop where I'm at right now (CAI, Bama tune, MagnaFlow catted X-pipe, Flowmaster cat back) and see how it does at the strip next week. Going for a TB/plenum has been tempting, the Accufab combo visually looks real sweet, but getting 8 HP or so for $439. is pretty pricey and that's around 10% of the price of a turbo/blower.

Last edited by CalBoy101; 08-23-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:59 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Have to research I've seen plenty of threads that's showed that a naturally aspirated 2v and 4v couldn't pull more air through an aftermarket intake than the stock one, motor just can't pull enough air to outgrow the factory intake tube. Flow numbers are far more accurate than dyno numbers, u can make 3 separate pulls with the same car and there can be a horsepower variance up to that 8rwhp claimed gain from the CAI.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:21 PM
CalBoy101
1st Gear Member

Below is pretty interesting article, they tested the "standard" bolt-ons on all recent Mustang generations:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...t/viewall.html

The dyno results look like they were honest, for some parts (Dynaflow cat back on a Fox) they actually show a loss of power (ouch).

On CAI results specifically they show a gain only 2HP on a Fox but a better gain of about 8HP on a New Edge engine.

The New Edge engine shows a total gain of about 25 HP from the combo of a K+N CAI (8.5 HP), DynoMax catback (no gain at all from this), BBK 70mm throttle body (less than 1HP gain), BBK X-pipe (12.5 HP) and a Tune from some guy in Florida (only .5HP).

So from this test only the CAI and BBK X-pipe had reasonable gains, the X pipe was their model 1669, this is "cat free" pipe. It has a pretty wide X, almost a have H half X pipe.

I wish they had done a plenum test also but other than that this was a pretty good article, if you swallow their results it looks like you can gain a little from a CAI and after that the X pipe should come next.

On the TB side Cliff's data looks to be confirmed, don't waste money on a TB if don't do the plenum also.

Last edited by CalBoy101; 08-27-2013 at 07:26 PM.