4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

96 Cobra Stalls & floods after bumps

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 10:12 PM
SnowWhtSnake

Default 96 Cobra Stalls & floods after bumps

Hi All,

When we pulled our 96 Cobra (all stock) out of storage this spring and drove to the gas station for fresh gas and air in the tires it stalled about one car length after bouncing through the approach into the gas station. It acted as it was flooded and only started after holding the gas peddle to the floor. It took a while to clear out before it felt like it burned the excess gas. After getting gas we drove it around the back of the station and again bouncing through the approach it stalled out again and had to put the peddle to the floor the restart it.

Thought maybe it was water in the gas from sitting all winter so put 2 bottles of heat in, and let it run for about 15 minutes or so to get the heat mixed through the system before I let it sit. I revved it up a few time before shutting it off and it started to over heat which it had never done.

Brought antifreeze home with me from work and topped off the cooling system and hadn't had an issue all summer.

Son took the car out of town last week, pulled into a parking lot and the same issues are happening again. He said he could only start it by holding the peddle to the floor and when he revs it up if was blowing dark smoke. It sat over night and it started fine but as soon as he hit some big bumps it started acting up again. He doesn't know for sure but feels the oil level has risen slightly and possibly smells a little like gas but isn't sure. I'm not there so I'm not sure if the car is level like it was on our driveway when he last checked the oil.

Anyone else have this problem? Any thoughts on what this problem might be? I think tomorrow I am grabbing a car dolly and pulling it home.

Thanks, Mike