MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   seized 01 gt (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/702742-seized-01-gt.html)

Shan243 10-30-2013 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by dawson1112 (Post 8302580)
as stated there is probly something ( remnants of the plug ) stuck in the valve holding it open it will stop the crank from spinning if the piston is contacting the valve and cant reach its full stroke.

Ohh I understand now.
That's probably what's wrong then cause I took the oil pan loose and looked inside and the piston that has the messed up plug still looks good from the bottom.
I may try and take the head off tomorrow. The only thing is I can't take all that off without a harmonic balancer remover so I can take the timing chain cover off.

If I take the cam gear off itll be to hard to put back on without the timing chain cover off don't you think?

dawson1112 10-31-2013 03:23 AM

I am pretty sure you need to take the timing cover off to be able to remove the heads any ways because the timing cover has 4 bolts connecting it to each head.

Plus you will need to reset the chain tensioners and IIRC on the 4.6l they are behind the cover.

Balancer is a simple thing to remove , just borrow the tool from autozone. You will have to pay a deposit but you get it back when your done. The kit will come with the remover and installer because youll need the tool to install it also when done.

Shan243 10-31-2013 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by dawson1112 (Post 8302709)
I am pretty sure you need to take the timing cover off to be able to remove the heads any ways because the timing cover has 4 bolts connecting it to each head.

Plus you will need to reset the chain tensioners and IIRC on the 4.6l they are behind the cover.

Balancer is a simple thing to remove , just borrow the tool from autozone. You will have to pay a deposit but you get it back when your done. The kit will come with the remover and installer because youll need the tool to install it also when done.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll take the cover and head off this weekend.

WJL 10-31-2013 02:53 PM

Try turning the crank the opposite direction if it is a valve preventing it from turning you should be able to turn it the opposite direction. I have to agree its time to take the head off and look, but i cant imagine that small of a piece sizing the motor. it was hard to see the heads in the picture, i just couldn't tell if they were for sure PI

Shan243 10-31-2013 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by WJL (Post 8303027)
Try turning the crank the opposite direction if it is a valve preventing it from turning you should be able to turn it the opposite direction. I have to agree its time to take the head off and look, but i cant imagine that small of a piece sizing the motor. it was hard to see the heads in the picture, i just couldn't tell if they were for sure PI

If I turn it the opposite direction the bolt comes off. So I can't do that. I tried a long time ago

dawson1112 10-31-2013 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Shan243 (Post 8303035)
If I turn it the opposite direction the bolt comes off. So I can't do that. I tried a long time ago

Well that's not cool at all. That bolt should not be able to be loosened with out having the engine held from turning . I cant remember the specs on the balancer crank bolt but IIRC its some where in the 120ft lbs range if its loosening up that easily there is a problem there as well. Possible that the balacer has walked out on the crank shaft and put the timing chain and gear in a bind.

Shan243 10-31-2013 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by dawson1112 (Post 8303067)

Well that's not cool at all. That bolt should not be able to be loosened with out having the engine held from turning . I cant remember the specs on the balancer crank bolt but IIRC its some where in the 120ft lbs range if its loosening up that easily there is a problem there as well. Possible that the balacer has walked out on the crank shaft and put the timing chain and gear in a bind.

No it wasn't taken off easy. I had the end of my jack handle as a breaker bar which made it come off as I kept trying to turn it.
But my engine has been sitting so long I'm gonna have to lube my cylinders up. Been sitting about 1 1/2 years.
Just took the head a loose and lifted it a little and anti freeze leaked out. Gonna rent a harmonic balancer remover this weekend and take that off then the timing chain cover and then my heads. See if I can see anything from there.

dawson1112 10-31-2013 03:38 PM

lol now were getting some place It is possible that the rings have seized up to the cylinders from sitting for so long. If you cant move it in either direction I suspect that is your problem.

Shan243 10-31-2013 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by dawson1112 (Post 8303077)
lol now were getting some place It is possible that the rings have seized up to the cylinders from sitting for so long. If you cant move it in either direction I suspect that is your problem.

Okay, so do you know something I can use to get them un stuck once I take the heads off?

dawson1112 10-31-2013 03:50 PM

pb blaster , liquid wrench , wd 40. something along those lines. If you can find a gallon jug of wd40 and dump it in each cylinder and let it soak for a day. But it will have to soak . Also before pulling the head the coolant needs drained out.

Generally cylinders wont sieze up like that from sitting for a year but if there was a lot of moisture or any coolant from a blown head gasket or leaking intake it is possible.