4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New Plugs and MSD Blaster Cops Today...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 07:34 PM
JonnyBlazeGT
1st Gear Member

Question New Plugs and MSD Blaster Cops Today...

So I changed out all the plugs and cops today. Car has 106k on it and I didn't know if they had been done by the PO or not.

Anyway, it had Autolites with the short threads and they looked ok but I had bought the Motorcraft SP493's with the longer threads so I swapped them all out.

The first plug towards the front of engine on passenger side had a drop of coolant on it and the next one back was wetter but not soaked. How concerned should I be? I used a lot of dielectric grease on the new boots on those two cylinders as a precaution.

When I say wet I mean, the upper portion of plug, not the threaded part or electrode. The white part where boot is and where the hex is for the socket.

Also, I got to say, I thought my car ran good before but dang, it runs GREAT now!
Old 08-08-2015, 10:31 AM
Convex
2nd Gear Member

I just installed some of those MSD Blasters and I know what mean about WOW.. my car started losing performance a little over time till one day the car would starting breaking up under any type of load but I got no engine codes .. so I change my fuel filter first and it was still no fix so I decided to order the MSD coil packs and sure enough I had one or more gone bad but I didn't change my plugs as I was more trying to find the issue and only spending money on things i knew where in need of replacing.

I had put the car back to stock tune and it is still awesome without the BAMA tunes already so i can't wait to unload the street tune as the car has 4:56 gears so you can really notice the change .

Last edited by Convex; 08-08-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:46 PM
JonnyBlazeGT
1st Gear Member

I'd run the stock tune if I didn't have to worry about the speedo being off from the 3.73's.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:08 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Congrats Johnny! Any more plans for her?
Old 08-08-2015, 07:18 PM
JonnyBlazeGT
1st Gear Member

Thanks. I have a brand new set of Steeda aluminun lca's that I scored off of eBay for $125 shipped that I need to install. And next is probably flsfc's.

It's mostly just a toy for me. I doubt I'll ever see a track. Never have drag raced before, though I want to and there's a track about 45 minutes away.

I can't afford a supercharger or turbo setup. I was thinking nos but for what? Lol. Idk.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:44 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Yeah my cars defiently become a toy (and a royal pain in the you know what). If you can scrap together 1500 bucks you can do what I did and countless other members. Build a complete supercharger kit. Best thing about it you don't really need to have all the money in hand. You can do it over time. If you ever decide to go that route I'll help...
Old 08-08-2015, 08:46 PM
JonnyBlazeGT
1st Gear Member

$1500 for a SC kit?!?!? WHAT??! Please tell me more...!
Old 08-08-2015, 09:17 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Yeah I said the same thing 5 yrs ago. A member on here (kerns) put me on to it and I'm indebted to him for that. He helped me piece everything together and keep in mine I was deployed to Afghanistan so believe me it can be done. Took me about four months. I paid 2100 bucks tho but I bought extra and upgraded parts. I could've gotten it down to 1500 bucks easy. I'll post the list tomorrow. It's detailed with part, cost and where I bought it from.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:19 PM
JonnyBlazeGT
1st Gear Member

Nice. Thank you and thank you for your service! My father was a Marine. He served 2 tours in Vietnam from 68-72.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:38 PM
Convex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JonnyBlazeGT
I'd run the stock tune if I didn't have to worry about the speedo being off from the 3.73's.
Funny.. The tuner has never worked for me as to reset the speedo for the gears even if I change it by hand.. but when I put the coil packs on I had to reset the computer (unhook battery) so maybe next time I try it may work as I had never reset it before.

Now on a different note I have this guy that I see from time to time when I work at that hospital talking crap about my mustang and wanting to race me with his wife 2015 RS Camaro (v6) which I have seen the numbers on there engine but that car is about 900 to 1000lbs heavier then mine but he still think it would blow my mustang away even with the 4:56 gears

Quick Reply: New Plugs and MSD Blaster Cops Today...