Car Suspension problems? - MustangForums.com

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:26 PM   #1  
marc954

Default Car Suspension problems?

greetings everyone. I have a 98 mustang gt and I believe that something is wrong with either my axles or something along the suspension. This year alone on the front end of the car i believe i have changed my 2 front tires around 5 or 6 times. I have replaced my ball joints and gotten alignments regularly. when i get the alignments they last for about a month if that long. This car was given to me as a gift and is my first car. I'm looking to having it run smoother than ever before. please help with any ideas. Thank you in advance.
marc954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:43 AM   #2  
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Kinda impossible to give any sort of pinpoint diagnosis over the internet, but chewing through a set of tires every few months tells me that whoever is doing the alignment work on your car hasn't stopped to wonder why they are performing alignment jobs so often. Find a better shop to look at your car is my advice.

An alignment should last at least the life of a set of tires (30 - 50K). There's obvious wear on something in the front end of your car that's not being addressed; I'm not a professional anything as far as cars go and don't have much expertise on front ends but purely as speculation or guesses it could be.... Worn lower A-arm bushings, worn inner and/or outer tie-rod ends, worn steering rack. It sounds to me like whatever alignment job is only lasting as long as the car is on the rack, as soon as it rolls back onto the ground it is back to being out of spec and then begins wearing the tires again.

And this is all assuming that (so far as you're aware anyway) that the car has never been in a major front end collision. If there is frame damage or a poor repair then the car will never be right. Again, you will need to find somebody competent to look at it who is interested in identifying and fixing problems, as opposed to what sounds like a typical tire shop geek that is happy to sell you new tires and alignment every few months.
Z28KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:18 AM   #3  
marc954

Thanks for your insight.
marc954 is offline   Reply With Quote