4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4 Valve Head questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 11:06 AM
GimpyHSHS

Default 4 Valve Head questions

Hey guys, I have the opportunity to buy a set of 2000 Lincoln Continental cylinder heads for $75 and that sounds too good to pass on. I would want to swap these onto a 2 valve block and just do the necessary timing changes and all of that. My big question is, what would need to happen to get this car to roughly 450 fwhp? This is easy with a supercharger and all, but I want a naturally aspirated car (only because I cant afford a supercharger lol). I know obviously to port the heads, maybe larger valves and valve springs (since I will have to buy them anyway), larger injectors (size??), fuel pump, cams, headers and intake. With that, and the slew of bolt ons of course, under-drive pulleys and the like. Is this goal feasible?

If not, what need be done to hit that 450 goal? It doesnt seem crazy for the 4v and I think the stock 2v block will handle up to about 400 rwhp, so 450 fwhp seems about right.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:33 PM
GimpyHSHS

Originally Posted by GimpyHSHS
Hey guys, I have the opportunity to buy a set of 2000 Lincoln Continental cylinder heads for $75 and that sounds too good to pass on. I would want to swap these onto a 2 valve block and just do the necessary timing changes and all of that. My big question is, what would need to happen to get this car to roughly 450 fwhp? This is easy with a supercharger and all, but I want a naturally aspirated car (only because I cant afford a supercharger lol). I know obviously to port the heads, maybe larger valves and valve springs (since I will have to buy them anyway), larger injectors (size??), fuel pump, cams, headers and intake. With that, and the slew of bolt ons of course, under-drive pulleys and the like. Is this goal feasible?

If not, what need be done to hit that 450 goal? It doesnt seem crazy for the 4v and I think the stock 2v block will handle up to about 400 rwhp, so 450 fwhp seems about right.
Ok so I bought the Heads for $60. I figure they can be turned into a table if they won't work. Now about those questions..
Old 09-29-2015, 03:26 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Not sure your gonna get that kind of horsepower without a supercharger.

Even the 4 valve Cobra Mustangs were only pulling about 320 horsepower naturally aspirated.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:25 PM
GimpyHSHS

Originally Posted by GimpyHSHS

Ok so I bought the Heads for $60. I figure they can be turned into a table if they won't work. Now about those questions..
Old 09-29-2015, 10:45 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

as was said, you will need to go with some form of forced induction to see those numbers,
Old 10-01-2015, 01:55 AM
GimpyHSHS

Originally Posted by jwog666
as was said, you will need to go with some form of forced induction to see those numbers,
Hey jwog666 could you e-mail me sometime about your setup? I may say screw the 4 valve and supercharge my current 2 valve. My e-mail is chrisstephens1997@gmail.com
Old 10-01-2015, 09:01 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Yeah I agree with everyone else. If you're wanting to reach 450 you'll need FI and a forged SB.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:18 PM
DrPigment

Glad i read this. Thanks guys
Old 02-26-2018, 11:56 PM
Dominic Macias

Default Reversing polarities

What is th purpose of reversing the polarity on all of the COP connectors? Just curious.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:01 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by Dominic Macias
What is th purpose of reversing the polarity on all of the COP connectors? Just curious.
if i recall correctly, the 4v coils are pinned differently than the 2v coils. so when doing a 4v swap to adapt the 2v harness to 4v coils you simply need to reverse the pins in the connector.

Quick Reply: 4 Valve Head questions