4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Did i goof up ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 10:59 AM
Mark Dean

Default Did i goof up ?

Well here i am again...so I put my new intake on I got from Rock Auto (Not a Dorman)..got it all back together and ran great for about a half hour then it started to miss real bad then the engine started purging up and down and the driver's side cat was so hot the floor pan was cooking ! I shut it of and misted water over the car to cool it down. Took 20minutes to get it cool enough touch. Tried starting it again but it would hardly stay running, what happened !?
Old 10-23-2017, 06:43 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

lets just wave our magic wand over the car and figure it out......
Old 10-23-2017, 10:01 AM
Mark Dean

Wow !, I should of thought of that first !
Old 10-23-2017, 11:10 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Most likely that you either cracked an oring on one of the fuel injectors, or your intake gasket didnt seal. It sounds alot like you have a vacuum leak someplace.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:19 AM
Mark Dean

Thanks dawson, i'm going to take a closer look today after work. So aggravating ! First time I ever really dug into something like that, so when I got it back together and it ran good I really felt good. I'll post my findings.
Thanks.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:33 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Did i goof up ?

Mark, I think dawson 1112 is onto something. Your observation of a very hot drivers side cat is the clue. This is showing a "lean" condition. I would guess the issue is on the drivers side (Left) bank. I would also suspect a issue with that intake gasket, (could have slipped down during intake installation). I have to admit, I am puzzled as to why it took so long for the symptoms to appear after starting the car. Could something have been in one of the intake runners and finally completely blocked the port???
Don't get frustrated, this is the part of the automotive world people have no conception of.
Let us know the outcome, I am still not to old to learn.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:10 PM
Mark Dean

Will do Buck, no magic wand needed Lol..just a little eyeball work and i'll find it.
Thanks for the tips.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:22 PM
Mark Dean

Magic wand says...the rubber PCV hose on passenger side value cover was tore do to dry rot. Couldn't see the tear unless it was pulled on so basically invisible. I went ahead and replaced all the vacuum hoses too just to be safe. Runs great again !. It must of ran as long as it did until I stepped into it hard and the vacuum surge probably collapsed the hose ?.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:47 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Did I goof up ?

Mark Dean, great trouble shooting. Every once in awhile we actually catch a break. Glad you didn't have to dig into the engine.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:52 AM
Mark Dean

Thanks Buck I appreciate that. It was actually fun, but I'm sure that will fade with time Lol..I was going to attempt to put the new chain tensioners in myself with help of a YouTube video, but I'm going to leave that to the pro's.