4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Warm staring issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 07:36 PM
Crazyduetoiowa

Default Warm staring issue

Hello,

i have a 03 mustang got 4.6 with 44k. This year it has started hard after being warmed up. I.e. I drive to the store and come back out and it might take 2-3 tries to start. I'd say it happens 30% of the time. Once it starts it fumbles for a few seconds and the radio doesn't turn on for 10 seconds (this is new). I replaced the coolant temp sensor and an o2 sensor that wasn't working. Has anyone had a similar problem?

thanks in advance!
Old 10-24-2017, 09:14 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Crank no start or no crank no start? Could be a wide spectrum of issues. Radio could be unrelated. I'd take it to a shop you trust honestly. Only so much speculation can be had without seeing the car
Old 10-25-2017, 05:45 AM
Crazyduetoiowa

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Crank no start or no crank no start? Could be a wide spectrum of issues. Radio could be unrelated. I'd take it to a shop you trust honestly. Only so much speculation can be had without seeing the car
I took it into the shop yesterday. They said it wouldn’t act up for them. They speculated maybe the starter. It will crank but not start when it acts up. Or it will sort of start but not fully. So it will crank for longer but not start on the first or second try.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:56 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Doubt it's the starter. Could be crank sensor, fuel pump, sticking iac valve. Problem is getting the car to be consistent with the problem so you can test it