4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Doorman intake manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 07:48 PM
Skidball
1st Gear Member

Default Doorman intake manifolds

Hello, 96 gt. I have heard good and bad things about doorman intake manifolds. It seems that's all that's offered ? I called the ford dealership and they said it's an obsolete part and no longer made . And I there's not one anywhere is the united states . Lol. Perfect. They said try used or aftermarket . I'm trying to keep the manifold. Where the brass nipple in the back for the heater core return , the nipple is ok, but where it goes into the manifold is cracked strait down. I may try to j b weld it, but I do not think that's gonna last long , if it works at all. Just please let me know if doorman or doormen, or whatever it is ? LOl. Works.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:54 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Doorman is kind of like the bottom line of OEM replacement stuff...

Can always go aftermarket with a free return policy, JUST in case..
Old 04-01-2019, 10:54 AM
delling3
1st Gear Member

Ford Racing Performance PI Intake manifolds are still available, and are the best bet. For your '96, you can expect around 15HP just with the manifold. If you are going to do a manifold swap, why make due with an inferior intake? The dorman intake will work, and is cheaper, but given the time needed to do the swap, I would spend the extra $$. I sourced a lightly used one from another member on the forum, but they are available from a variety of sources. Here is a link to one such source. They will also drill and tap the crossover for the 2nd temperature sensor used on our cars for $10 additional - a pretty good deal if you ask me.

https://www.modularheadshop.com/i-24...tegory:1268182
Old 04-01-2019, 01:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I would not trust doorman for engine, suspension, coolant, or any vital parts stuff these days. Their quality is really hit or miss since they themselves contract the work to the lowest bidder.

they used to be really good for 'Help!' brand stuff but, once they started expanding into other areas, they lost sight of their quality.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:54 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Agree with the above, Dorman parts are mostly junk across the board and should be avoided any time a viable alternative exists.

Install a PI intake (std equipment on 99+ cars) is absolutely what I'd do. Will require a bit of RTV sealant around the coolant passages at the right-rear corner near cyl # 4. There is a step by step write up on making it work for your car around here somewhere, maybe check the stickied "how to" thread back one page from here.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:56 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Here ya go....

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...npi-heads.html
Old 04-04-2019, 04:33 AM
Skidball
1st Gear Member

Thank you . I'm going with the ford racing manifold from summit racing. I'm assuming I need the retro kit with the water tube and nipple set up ? Thank you again.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:41 PM
Skidball
1st Gear Member

Tonight I bought used 2001 mustang intake manifold for the 96 gt. I not sure witch set of gaskets to use. PI or Non Pi ? I have the heater tube with the rubber hose on the nipple. I'm assuming I need to change it ? Has any body switched over the cross overs for the second temp sensor , or just die and tap it. Thank you.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:41 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Skidball
Tonight I bought used 2001 mustang intake manifold for the 96 gt. I not sure witch set of gaskets to use. PI or Non Pi ? I have the heater tube with the rubber hose on the nipple. I'm assuming I need to change it ? Has any body switched over the cross overs for the second temp sensor , or just die and tap it. Thank you.
I've not actually done the swap so can't answer definitively. Probably the PI gaskets if I had to guess.... Does it mention in the procedure writeup I posted a link for?
Old 04-05-2019, 03:36 PM
delling3
1st Gear Member

Use the PI gasket. Easier to seal the gasket to the head than the gasket to the manifold. You will need the water pipe, and nipple. There is a guy on eBay who sells a kit - includes Fel-Pro PI gaskets, water pipe and nipple, O-rings for water pump, thermostat, and fuel injectors.

Does your existing manifold have an aluminum cross-over? If so, you can swap it over to the PI intake and not have to drill and tap.

The write-up provided is pretty good, but I would recommend checking out a video on YouTube that covers the swap. There are a couple of them, but I thought the video by ChrisFix is the best. Just do a search in Youtube for "intake manifold, Chrisfix". He shows you the little tricks that you need to know.

Quick Reply: Doorman intake manifolds