4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Ricers

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 08:12 PM
jlauth
2nd Gear Member

Default Ricers

ok guys i didnt know where to ask this question, so im gonna ask it in the 4.6 area. I know a good amount about mustangs and american cars but i just watched this vid or an evo ehotting flames. How in the hell does this work and what is it called. It said shudder box on the caption but how does this work. http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....C736BA2B5F&p=4 sorry i dont know about the ricer crap forgive me
Old 11-09-2005, 08:14 PM
JonBeast

Default RE: Ricers

I have dial up so it would take me about an hr to download that...so I'll just try to guess it....was he downshifting? Cause turbo cars....with unrestricted exhaust will backfire a lot and somtimes shoot flames.

Edit: BTW.....Evo's aren't ricers by any means

Yeeeaaaa, I just loaded it, lol, my guess was wrong. Like matt said, thats a flamethrower kit. You could do it, but its stupid and illegal, and useless.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:16 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

It's illegal and a waste of money. They make kits called flamethrower kits. I also heard you can drill a hole and tap it in your exhaust pipe and wire a spark plug to it and it will do the same. Either way it's a waste.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:42 PM
StrokemyNotch
2nd Gear Member

Thats not as cool as exhaust spinners.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:48 PM
ColdStang
2nd Gear Member

Getting a spark plug and doing that crap is a good way to blow your exhaust off....Seen it happen, funny as @#$% but wouldn't want that to happen to me. UGH ricers
Old 11-09-2005, 11:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Matts00GT

It's illegal and a waste of money. They make kits called flamethrower kits. I also heard you can drill a hole and tap it in your exhaust pipe and wire a spark plug to it and it will do the same. Either way it's a waste.
That's exactly what it is. You can get chips to make your car run rich, and then by putting a spark plug in the exhaust you can set the exhaust on fire thereby creating flames.

Same thing the old hotrodders did way back in the day before all the emissions laws and crap.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:58 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

they have kits that you can buy, when you push the button it shuts off the spark plugs on every other of 3rd engine cycle or something like that. in return it puts unburnt fuel in your exhaust, and a ignitor lights it. you also have to take off your cats.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:26 AM
DrBob
2nd Gear Member

A friend of mine had a 1979 930 Porsche Turbo. He put about $15K into the engine, cams, custom B&B exhaust, K-29 turbo, etc. He could shoot flames about a foot out the back of his duel 4" exhaust if he let off the gas in first or second after spooling the turbo. It was just igniting the fuel that was dumped into the cylinders. Scared the crap out of people behind him!
Old 11-10-2005, 06:50 PM
M1ke
4th Gear Member

that looks like an anti-lag system to me. usually flamethrower kits are one continuous flames and not poping like that.

anti-lag systems are used on rally cars to keep the turbo spooled while off the gas, no spark plug needed. when you let off the gas pedal, the system kicks in and changes the timing severely so that the gas/air mixture isnt ignited and instead is shot out through the exhaust valve and eventually hitting the turbo. the heat from the turbo is enough to ignite the mixture creating the external combustion and spools up the turbo. all to reduce turbo lag, hence the name. the flames coming out is part of this and the poping is the ignition of the raw fuel. they are illegal in most if not all states. they are also REALLY hard on the exhaust manifolds. most stock cars will blow them after one of these systems if the manifold is not replaced.

the flame is too big and frequent to be backfiring. its really easy to get most turbo cars to backfire, just get a full exhaust system with a large diameter and an aftermarket blowoff valve.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:03 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: M1ke

that looks like an anti-lag system to me. usually flamethrower kits are one continuous flames and not poping like that.

anti-lag systems are used on rally cars to keep the turbo spooled while off the gas, no spark plug needed. when you let off the gas pedal, the system kicks in and changes the timing severely so that the gas/air mixture isnt ignited and instead is shot out through the exhaust valve and eventually hitting the turbo. the heat from the turbo is enough to ignite the mixture creating the external combustion and spools up the turbo. all to reduce turbo lag, hence the name. the flames coming out is part of this and the poping is the ignition of the raw fuel. they are illegal in most if not all states. they are also REALLY hard on the exhaust manifolds. most stock cars will blow them after one of these systems if the manifold is not replaced.

the flame is too big and frequent to be backfiring. its really easy to get most turbo cars to backfire, just get a full exhaust system with a large diameter and an aftermarket blowoff valve.
So it's an Afterburner option Great I can imagine some ricer "I got Nos stickers and an afterburner option on my fizzed dwizzle to fo sho twis the 1/4 faster dan u in my 1000HP civic you ****."

Quick Reply: Ricers