4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 01:20 PM
hack_239
1st Gear Member

Default exhaust question

I am new to this forum so this question may have already been answered, but I don't know. Please forgive me if it has. I have a mostly stock 04 Mustang GT. All I have done is have flowmaster Delta 40 mufflers installed. I'm not very pleased with the outcome, or lack thereof. I was wondering what my best course of action would be if I wanted to do a cat-back system. I have read here in the forum that SLP LM-1's are the way to go for HP and best sound but I wanted to ask anyway. I know that a K&N FIPK would also help. My wife has given me the greenlight as long as I don't break the bank or void the warrenty. Please let me know what y'all suggest.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:32 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: exhaust question

Yes to both. Enjoy them.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:44 PM
red2k1gt
5th Gear Member

If you like the tone your car has now just try adding a new midpipe (h-pipe/x-pipe). If you want a different tone try the LM II's (my personal preference). The K&N isnt really going to do a whole lot for you as far as hp is concerned.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:10 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Search for some exhaust posts. I have gotten really good information from people about my choice of exhaust system.. Search for a thread I started, its called, "Stock to Full Exhaust" - It has some really good information in it regarding the full exhaust system, HP, and sound.

This christmas I am putting on BBK LT's, o/r X, and the LM1's to my 00' GT Vert.
People have called me insane and crazy for this setup because it is going to be ridiculously loud, most likely the loudest you will find. However, I love the sound and I am not afriad of the noise!

Personal opinion really, but I would say if you want the best sounding exhaust that won't blow your doors off, go with the LM2's. I am only going with the LM1's because they are much much louder. However, if I wasn't going for the loudest noise, I would definitely go with the LM2's, amazing sound, and not as loud as the LM1's at all, but yet much louder and much NICER SOUNDING than flowmaster, or flow-BAD. (my opinion).

Good Luck.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:06 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

base your exhaust preferences over the sound, all the aftemarket systems gice you the same gains. My personal favorities are bassani just for the sound, i also like MAC for the very deep muscle car rumble. SLP LM1' is pretty much the loudest catback on the market.

but i would not buy a system just for power gains, its really not worth it. i found out that listening to the online clips doesnt really help that much, they give u a some-what accurate idea of what the exhaust system sounds like. but in person they always sound different. i listened to numberious clips online but it did not really help. i asked around and listened to my friends cars and people i know with mustangs and i liked the MAC sound the best. now im leaning more to Bassani, i love that different kind of sound.

also i dont like flowmaster at all. everyone says flowmasters sounds like MAC, ive heard both and they sound very different. Also everyone says that MAC is very poor quality. i got the MAC stainless-steal system and the quality is amazing, no rust at all, good solid welds.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:43 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: hack_239

I am new to this forum so this question may have already been answered, but I don't know. Please forgive me if it has. I have a mostly stock 04 Mustang GT. All I have done is have flowmaster Delta 40 mufflers installed. I'm not very pleased with the outcome, or lack thereof. I was wondering what my best course of action would be if I wanted to do a cat-back system. I have read here in the forum that SLP LM-1's are the way to go for HP and best sound but I wanted to ask anyway. I know that a K&N FIPK would also help. My wife has given me the greenlight as long as I don't break the bank or void the warrenty. Please let me know what y'all suggest.
Get an H pipe with high flo cats if you have emissions testing or go with an O/R Hpipe if you dont and that will really wake up your exhaust with those flowmasters.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:49 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

A test conducted my Mustang Enthusiast magazine showed that Magnaflows offerd the best hp gains, adveraged about 13 rwhp with the cats, and 18 rwhp with the jba headers, and magnaflow x pipe with cats, done on a 2004 GT. Hope this helps a little.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:53 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

.... ok... for HP gains, it doesn't matter what catback you go with. the difference in performance is like less than 1 HP though. SLP makes a mean sounding catback though. LM1 is LOUD and deep, LM2 is loud and DEEP.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:55 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

NANAKI DRIVES A HONDA, DONT LISTEN TO HIM.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:32 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

I NEVER!

Quick Reply: exhaust question