4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

upgrade advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 12:03 AM
stangman2354
3rd Gear Member

Default upgrade advice

Just bought my 99 gt about 2 months ago and i want to put a lot of stuff in it. I was wondering what i should put in it first. Also eventually i'n going to put nitrous and a supercharger in it and I was wondering if I needed to build up my engine to be able to use them with out blowing my engine so if you guys could let me know about all that stuff it would be great.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:10 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Default RE: upgrade advice

The first mods you will see the most performance out of are either:
4.10 gears
or LT Headers. Thats if your really going for performance first.

However, if your going to be putting nitrious and an s/c in it down the road.. you may also want to check out suspension and get that out of the way first.. because that will play a key role down the road if your plan on adding major power adders.

Otherwise, for pleasing purposes.. and appeal you will be most happy with a full exhaust system.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:18 AM
stangman2354
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: meebix

The first mods you will see the most performance out of are either:
4.10 gears
or LT Headers. Thats if your really going for performance first.

However, if your going to be putting nitrious and an s/c in it down the road.. you may also want to check out suspension and get that out of the way first.. because that will play a key role down the road if your plan on adding major power adders.

Otherwise, for pleasing purposes.. and appeal you will be most happy with a full exhaust system.
What kind of stuff for the suspension? Better shocks or sway bars..that kind of stuff? Or if not what kind of stuff?
Old 11-29-2005, 12:23 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Im definitely not the person to talk to about suspension.. I don't know enough because I will never be putting suspension on my car because my car is based for show and not for race. Try posting a separate thread on suspension help or search the forums. I know enough about it to know that you will definitely need it with those power adders, but I wouldnt know the best brand or what exactly you would need.

Also check out the suspension packages on some websites such as mustangtuning.com and lmperformance.com
Old 11-29-2005, 08:34 AM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

As far as suspension mods go, it all depends on what you want. If you want a car that you can wip in and out of curves, or a car that launches great for the 1/4 mile times. What you want depends on which way to go.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:49 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

whatever you do, make sure you get some subframe connectors. it makes a world of difference when you make any turn. your car doesn't feel like it's going to roll over.

oh, and i hope you meant you were getting a supercharger or nitrous, not both. if you plan on getting both, then yeah, you gotta build your engine up. otherwise, you can take about 10psi with a supercharger or up to a 150 shot (125 recommended) of nitrous on your stock engine.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:12 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

what kind of blower would you do? if its centrifical do 4.10 gears, a roots type blower, do 3.73s. make sure you get a handheld tuner as well
Old 11-29-2005, 09:26 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: mustangman02232

what kind of blower would you do? if its centrifical do 4.10 gears, a roots type blower, do 3.73s. make sure you get a handheld tuner as well
if he gets a blower, then he won't need a handheld tuner. he'd be getting a dyno tune if he wants to run safely.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:58 AM
stangman2354
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nanaki

whatever you do, make sure you get some subframe connectors. it makes a world of difference when you make any turn. your car doesn't feel like it's going to roll over.

oh, and i hope you meant you were getting a supercharger or nitrous, not both. if you plan on getting both, then yeah, you gotta build your engine up. otherwise, you can take about 10psi with a supercharger or up to a 150 shot (125 recommended) of nitrous on your stock engine.

Eventually I plan on getting both ...so what kind of stuff will I need?
Old 11-29-2005, 11:11 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

forge your pistons, rods & crank and you should be good. probably need a new rear and and tranny eventually too. depending on how much HP you're going to be putting down.

Quick Reply: upgrade advice