4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need Help on Decision about my GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 05:52 PM
XxphantomsnypzxX
3rd Gear Member

Default Need Help on Decision about my GT

It is automatic but I want more of a racy feeling lol so i might get it switched to manual which will run about 1-1.5 Gs according to this guide to it and im just wondering if theres really that big of a difference in power as opposed to a shift kit
Old 12-06-2005, 06:22 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Need Help on Decision about my GT

I would say it depends on what your going for.

An auto with a shift kit is going to beat a 5-speed in the 1/4 hands down. So if your looking for speed on a drag track, then I would say stick with the auto + shift kit.

If your looking for street racing/track racing then you are going to definitely have to get a stick transformation. It is almost impossible to run an auto through a race/street track.

Manuals do have more power though as well.. Drives it straight to the wheels.. you can feel the difference if you have ever driven a 5-speed vs. an auto.. Definitely more power. But as I said, all depends on what your looking to achieve.

I would say 5-speed hands down, I would never drive an auto sports/muscle car.. although autos are better at the strip.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

5 speed. hands down. youll have more fun. auto is better in the 1/4...but pretty much everything else...manual reigns supreme IMO. even in traffic it is NOT that bad.

of course....this is costing you money, not me...so it depends if its worth it for you.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:06 AM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: meebix
I would say it depends on what your going for.

An auto with a shift kit is going to beat a 5-speed in the 1/4 hands down. So if your looking for speed on a drag track, then I would say stick with the auto + shift kit.

If your looking for street racing/track racing then you are going to definitely have to get a stick transformation. It is almost impossible to run an auto through a race/street track.

Manuals do have more power though as well.. Drives it straight to the wheels.. you can feel the difference if you have ever driven a 5-speed vs. an auto.. Definitely more power. But as I said, all depends on what your looking to achieve.

I would say 5-speed hands down, I would never drive an auto sports/muscle car.. although autos are better at the strip.

I have a auto with a shift kit in it and love it. Mine is a DD and I take it to the track maybe once/twice a month just for fun.
If yours is just a daily driver that you want to have fun with, and maybe take it to the track a couple times a month I would not spend the $$ to convert it to the 5 speed. all that money to buy the new trans. and make all the modifications necessary to make it work you can put into performance mods. Also if it was me and I just had to get a standard trans and install it I would get the Viper 6 speed out of a cobra for 1k more and have a better trans with a extra gear.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:49 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

I'd much rather have an auto with a shiftkit.

If you do install a shift-kit, a TRANNY COOLER IS A MUST.

Providing you aren't making more power than it can handle someday, the transmission will live longer than you providing it has a cooler...
Old 12-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

Don't forget the stall!
Old 12-07-2005, 01:54 PM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

I'd much rather have an auto with a shiftkit.

If you do install a ****-kit, a TRANNY COOLER IS A MUST.

Providing you aren't making more power than it can handle someday, the transmission will live longer than you providing it has a cooler...

Defently install a trans cooler!!!!!!! I have one and also run Royal Purple trans fluid, in the middle of summer here in FL. in stop and go traffic I will see temps of 210 deg's or so, But when moveing thoes temps drop to around 190 or so and stay there provided that I am moveing.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: XxphantomsnypzxX

It is automatic but I want more of a racy feeling lol so i might get it switched to manual which will run about 1-1.5 Gs according to this guide to it and im just wondering if theres really that big of a difference in power as opposed to a shift kit
A handheld tuner is all you need to liven up that trans. Forget the shift kit unless the trans goes out. The grass is always greener ay. : )
Old 12-07-2005, 03:18 PM
rob_boura
2nd Gear Member

my personal oppinion is the stick but depends on the pupose but ive never owned a stang that was auto so im only lookin form one side of the fence
Old 12-07-2005, 04:23 PM
codyss

An Automatic with a shift kit will not be faster than a 5-Speed in the 1/4 only more consistant.

Adding a shift kit only makes shifts faster and firmer it does not add any power. Have you ever riden in a auto 99-04 GT that was using a Flash programmer? Using one to adjust line pressure and shift qualities makes a world of difference. It isn't quite a shift kit per say but it is alot cheaper plus you can tune your car also!