4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need some install help...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 01:49 AM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

Default Need some install help...

I looked around and I have not yet seen this topic covered. I am complementing my H&R springs with new Monroe Sensitrack shock and struts from a 93 GT. I have my HAYNES manual sitting here on my desk, but I was looking for some better info from guys who have installed their own shocks/struts. Anyone who can offer a detailed, step-by-step walkthrough of this task will be greatly appreciated. I am getting up with a buddy of mine Tuesday morning to start this install. Help me out guys!

Ethan
Old 12-12-2005, 01:57 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need some install help...

wait, dont you have a 97 gt? i know how you can do it on a 97 cause its the same as mine i think.. but idk about the fox bodies.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:00 AM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

97 GT, but it's lowered about an inch and a half. I need new shocks and struts. I blew the drivers side strut last week, and I was planning on replacing them anyway. Code3 and Jdaniel, among many otheres say the foxbody shocks/struts are a great alternative to dropping 500 bucks on new shocks and struts.... So yeah, go ahead with the info!
Old 12-12-2005, 02:43 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ok.. well first i will tell you how to do the rear springs...

-jack the rear of the car up and put the car on jack stands under the frame, not the axle. put wheel chucks infront of the front tires.

-disconnect the swaybar from the rear control arms

-disconnect the shocks from axle/control arms (cant remember which its attached to)

-put a jack under the back of the control arm and put some pressure on it, take out the bolt on the back of the control arm and lower the control arm slowly, while this is happening the spring will decompress and just about fall off

-take the rubber fittings off the spring and put them on the new springs

-put the spring back in place. make sure its in the same position with the ends of the springs, otherwise the car will not sit totally flat

-jack the control arm up into place and put the bolt back in place, and your done that side

-do the same for the other side

-reconnect the rear sway bar

-take out the panels on the inside of the trunk and disconnect the upper bolts on the rear shocks

-put the new shocks in place and bolt them to the axle/control arm and then the upper portion to the inner trunk where you disconnected it

the rear is now done!

for the front.. put the car up on jackstands and make sure the jack stands are not under the front control arms, they have to be under the cross member or frame of some sort. put wheel chucks behind the back tires.

put a jack under one of the control arms and put just alittle pressure on it

pop the hood and take the bolt off of the caster/camber plate in the middle (the bolt that is on the strut)

disconnect the front swaybar

lower the control arm slowly as the spring decompresses

take out the strut by disconnecting the bolts attached to the front hub

now you may have to take out the brake caliper to get the spring out of there, i had to do this. there are 2 bolts on the back of the brake caliper that you take off and it should slide right off with ease. do not disconnect it fromt he brakeline. there is this place in the upper fender that you can store it for now and its actually kinda nifty that you can put it there to get it out of the way

now have your friend push down the control arm and the spring will still have some compression so you will have to pry it out with a breakerbar... if you have one, you can use a spring compressor.. my mcperhson strut compressor didnt fit though so i pryed mine out. they will jump alittle but not much.

take the spring out and put the rubber pieces on the new spring

put the new spring in place and either compress it or do what i did by prying it back into place. make sure the spring is in the same position as the stock ones

reconnect the new stut into place on the hub and jack the car up while aligning the swaybar to fit onto its little tricky sometimes.

compress the strut and let it raise into the hole slowly. tighten the upper bolt onto the strut.

put the brake back on

repeat for other side and lower car.. then your done!!!

took me a couple hours to do this on my car. you will need to let the suspension settle alittle bit and it will lower over the next couple days. then take it in and get an alighnment after like a week.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:45 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

Okay, I guess I was a little vague... I have my lowering springs installed. I blew the drivers side strut, so I am replacing just the shocks and struts tomorrow... I would be installing my new upper and lower control arms, but I don't think they will get here in time (damned UPS)[:@]. But, your comments are quite useful. I'm not sure, but I am hoping I will not have to remove the front springs and brakes to replace just the struts up front. The rear shocks, however seem like they will be easy enough.

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2005, 01:01 AM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

BUMP......
Old 12-13-2005, 01:15 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

nope, front springs can stay in place for replacing the struts... may need an alighnment after it though.... just do the steps without involving the spring. you may still have to disconnect the sway bar if it gets in the way.... it would make it easier atleast.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:30 AM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

Support the control arm with a jack, unbolt the shock/strut yank it out, reverse the order for install. Repeat.