4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 06:22 PM
Black on blacK
2nd Gear Member

Default headers

ive asked a shi*load of people their take on the long vs the short tube headers, and ive never really gotten an answer i could believe. ive heard the long tubes are for offroading, ive heard it depends on what will fit with your suspsension, ive heard that long tubes provide more torque, but not neccisarly quickness. what the hell is the difference. short tubes or long tubes? let me know your opinions and feedback.

Old 12-25-2005, 08:32 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: headers

Longtube headers have more of a scavenging effect.That is the pure and simple reason for running them.This scavenging effect draws the exhaust out of the cylinder and allows more clean unburned fuel air mix in.A well designed header will even draw some of the fuel air mix out into the exhaust header and reversion waves can cram it back in just before the exhaust valve closes.Shorties have neither of these remarkable traits.They are just an outlet for exhaust gas.Another thing,ALL headers are a PITA to install.You can put a set on your car without removing the K-member but it will be a lot harder.If you get headers,get longtubes,or Bassani's midlength,theres no reason not to.Longtubes and mid-lengths do require MIL eliminators or O2 extensions if you run cats.There are some transmission clearance problems with automatic tranny's using longtubes.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:01 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

for the clearance problems... ive got BBK LT headers and Eibach pro springs and i dont scrape on to much, you begin to learn how high of things you can go over. my cats are around 3 inches from the ground. they have lots of scrapes on the heat sheilds of them but the headers are fine. longtubes should pass emissions as long as you go with cat's. ive never had a problem with my exhuast and it sounds great. made a big power difference from a stock catted H pipe and headers to the LT's and catted X pipe.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:32 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

longtubes > shorties or midlength headers when it comes to power and torque. However, anythign is better than stock. Take the FRPP shorty headers. You can grab them for about 280 bucks and see about a 6-8 RWHP gain. Longtubes, will probably offer you a solid 15 RWHP. The only clearance problems I have seen is that some companies do not offer a set of longtubes that will fit an automatic due to the larger bell housing. SLP however has a set of LT's for auto's but they will cost you an ungodly amount of money. Honestly, if you aren't going FI don't bother with the longtubes. You can get more gains out of the money it would cost to buy/install headers i.e. gears, tuner, and CAI. That's a fact. But, it's all up to you.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:26 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Emann0007

longtubes > shorties or midlength headers when it comes to power and torque. However, anythign is better than stock. Take the FRPP shorty headers. You can grab them for about 280 bucks and see about a 6-8 RWHP gain. Longtubes, will probably offer you a solid 15 RWHP. The only clearance problems I have seen is that some companies do not offer a set of longtubes that will fit an automatic due to the larger bell housing. SLP however has a set of LT's for auto's but they will cost you an ungodly amount of money. Honestly, if you aren't going FI don't bother with the longtubes. You can get more gains out of the money it would cost to buy/install headers i.e. gears, tuner, and CAI. That's a fact. But, it's all up to you.

But you just said anything is better than stock, so you're saying stick with shortys or midlengths as opposed to LTs?
Old 12-25-2005, 11:46 PM
dan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dlazrael

But you just said anything is better than stock, so you're saying stick with shortys or midlengths as opposed to LTs?
hes saying to spend your money elsewhere. However i still think its worth it.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:51 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dan

ORIGINAL: dlazrael

hes saying to spend your money elsewhere. However i still think its worth it.

yea, to me it was worth it too.... the sound was amazing after putting them in too. i had all the other bolt on's so i put on the LT's and it really helped out.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:26 AM
dan
4th Gear Member

there definatly a good basis for other mods. Its always better when your car can breath better (CAI is also a good "base" mod)
Old 12-26-2005, 12:29 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

If you're going to put headers on your car, do your self a favor... Save up for the ceramic or coated LONG TUBE headers, and don't waste your money on any other crap. i.e. mid-length, short, etc. It will be a waste of your time and money. Do it right the first time around and you will be much happier.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:28 AM
Acer2428
Site Mod

ANYTHING is better than stock. Longtubes won't pass VA emissions nor inspection. Longtubes are a great investment, but only if you're doing cams/valve job/Forced Induction or something else large. TO spend $500 + install on a stockish N/A motor is redonckulous. Yes, redonckulous.

IF you run out of bolt-ons, go for it. Otherwise, there are much better things to spend money on.

P.S. I put FRPP Ceramic coated shorties on when I did the headswap. I also gained 56rwhp from the headswap which is pretty much unheard of. So the headers def. helped.

Quick Reply: headers