4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

control arms.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 09:59 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Default control arms.

I bought grandelli upper and lower control arms. But I only put the uppers on since they gave me a wrong bushing sleeve for one of the lower control arms. I have terrible traction problems!!!!!! I just always spin in 1st and in the begining and the middle of 2nd. Will putting the lower control arms greatly improve my traction. I cant imagining it improving it much since its not changing the geometry of it. I just want to know to motivate me to put them on, its such a pain in th a$$ to do it.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:05 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: control arms.

i wonder how your car can spin those massive 315's so easily with the mods listed? before the control arms did it get better traction?
Old 12-25-2005, 10:17 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

I thought I wasnt going to be able to spin the tires either. Well I was talking to an engineer and he brought my attention to something I didnt relieze. I increased the square inch of surface area of the tire, which is in contact with the road. But I did not increase the weight in the rear. So really there is less weight per square inch of my tires in contact with the road. So the rubber isnt creating as much friction as my old 245/45 tires. I noticed that my lateral adhearsion with the road has increased alot, but I havent gained any straight line traction. But it sucks, because at $300 a rear tire. I cant afford to change them all the time. I have already loast about 1/4 of the tread on the tire and I have had them for about a month now
Old 12-25-2005, 10:17 PM
JoeyD
3rd Gear Member

I know you are not into just drag racing etc...
but I would get DR's if I was you.
my BFG DR's are awsome man, no joke.
and no not really, I always do "test" with my mods before and after...
and no the LC arms do not help out traction all that GREAT... they do help wheel hop which I know is obvioulsy traction... but I mean in the way you are tlaking about "spinning"

Old 12-25-2005, 10:21 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aixtreme89

I thought I wasnt going to be able to spin the tires either. Well I was talking to an engineer and he brought my attention to something I didnt relieze. I increased the square inch of surface area of the tire, which is in contact with the road. But I did not increase the weight in the rear. So really there is less weight per square inch of my tires in contact with the road. So the rubber isnt creating as much friction as my old 245/45 tires. I noticed that my lateral adhearsion with the road has increased alot, but I havent gained any straight line traction. But it sucks, because at $300 a rear tire. I cant afford to change them all the time. I have already loast about 1/4 of the tread on the tire and I have had them for about a month now

damn, i never would have thought of that. i hope i dont have that same problem when i put my tires 315/35's on. because if i get worse traction than now, im gonna be pissed. maybe if you relocated the battery to the trunk it would help alittle. but at that if you spin that much, i dont think the 40lbs will help that much. have you thought of maybe some better shocks/struts to help transfer weight to the rear faster?
Old 12-25-2005, 10:31 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

I was thinking th same thing, better struts. I haver pro-kit springs and still the stock struts. I just bought fox-body struts for the rear because I read on here that they work with lowered 99-04 mustangs. So hopefully that will help alot!! I will change them when I put the lower control arms in. Its just such a pain to remove the mufflers and springs. I need to set aside like 4 hours.

I would love to get some competition tires all the way around, I might do that next set of tires.

I am going to move the battery back to my trunk also. You have to remember the placement of it helps to. You should put it on the right side of the trunk and towards the back of the car past the axle, because then it works on leverage or what ever so really its planting like 60lbs. over the right side of the axle as opposed to 40lbs. But still I put 100lbs. of sand in the trunk of my car because it has snowed a few times already and it hasnt improved my traction. I just seriously need to invest in a 3 link set up with a torque arm.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:32 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

ever heard the term "sand bag"

and no not the sexual one.....
Old 12-25-2005, 10:40 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Whats the term "sand bag" mean.... I have tryed putting 100lbs of sand in the trunk, it doesnt really make a difference.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:43 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

I was thinking th same thing, better struts. I haver pro-kit springs and still the stock struts. I just bought fox-body struts for the rear because I read on here that they work with lowered 99-04 mustangs. So hopefully that will help alot!! I will change them when I put the lower control arms in. Its just such a pain to remove the mufflers and springs. I need to set aside like 4 hours.

I would love to get some competition tires all the way around, I might do that next set of tires.

I am going to move the battery back to my trunk also. You have to remember the placement of it helps to. You should put it on the right side of the trunk and towards the back of the car past the axle, because then it works on leverage or what ever so really its planting like 60lbs. over the right side of the axle as opposed to 40lbs. But still I put 100lbs. of sand in the trunk of my car because it has snowed a few times already and it hasnt improved my traction. I just seriously need to invest in a 3 link set up with a torque arm.

why does it need to go to the right side? just wondering...

mine is in the right side closest to the rear as possible.

i normally have like a bookbag or something in the trunk and it doesnt help. i had a clutch in there for like a month and i took it out and didnt notice a different.. haha.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:44 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

Whats the term "sand bag" mean.... I have tryed putting 100lbs of sand in the trunk, it doesnt really make a difference.

i think hes talking about having the sand in bags instead of just a big pile of sand in the trunk??? i have no clue.. haha.

Quick Reply: control arms.