4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

question on lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 08:35 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

Default question on lowering springs

I am currently driving on Kumho Ecsta MX tires (255/40/18 front and 275/35/18 rear). I also have kyb agx gas shocks and struts. I would like to lower my 97 gt just a little bit for some better handeling and better looks. Would i be able to go with the eibach pro kit without having any rub?? also, would i need to purchase anything else or would just the lowering springs be fine?? if not the pro kit, what other springs would you guys recommend?? thanks

also keep in mind i have longtube headers!!!
Old 01-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: question on lowering springs

Not familiar with the specs, but as long as you don't go further than 1 1/2 inch you can get away without caster/camber plates. You shouldn't have any issues with rubbing.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:12 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

Get the prokit, it's a nice drop. You won't rub at all.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:33 PM
JonBeast

I agree, a pro-kit or maybe Steeda Sport springs are good to go with.

Since you have long tubes....you don't want to lower your car more than 1-1.5" or so.

Post up a pic of your car....I LOVE saleens
Old 01-02-2006, 12:47 AM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

I'm going to piggy back on this.

You're certain caster/camber plates are not needed? I really only want to lower my Mach about 1" or 1 1/2", and I do plan on getting headers. I was looking at the Super-Lite Steeda Sport Springs.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:01 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

yeah i really do need to get some pics of my car up on here...one problem though...no camera!!!![:@]

ill borrow one from my friend sometime this week and get some pictures done
Old 01-02-2006, 02:10 AM
mustangsel
2nd Gear Member

If you want you can even go with the SPortline. I also have LT's and 18's. The lowest part of the car after lowering it was the LT's. Handles good as hell, just have to be carefull were I drive.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:11 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

one other quick question...besides knowing that if i go more than 1.5 inches i will need c/c plates...are there any other pieces that i will need to purchase to install the lowering springs or should just the springs be fine??
Old 01-02-2006, 03:24 AM
JonBeast

ORIGINAL: 97stanger

one other quick question...besides knowing that if i go more than 1.5 inches i will need c/c plates...are there any other pieces that i will need to purchase to install the lowering springs or should just the springs be fine??
Well you already have shocks/struts...so you are good to go with the install. Control arms are an option....but if you are installing all of this yourself.....the control arms are going to add A LOT of time...took me and my buddy a long time even with air tools. You are going to run into a lot of bolts that will give you hell.

I just installed H&R supersport springs on the front of my car (rear still jacked up in my friends garage[:@]).....they lowered my front end about 2" or so....needless to say, my camber is pretty damn negative, lol. Once I get done with the install, I am going to see if I can get an alignment. I am most likely going to need C&C plates. It really all depends....1-1.5" should be ok....sometimes it is, sometimes its not. You just have to check it afterwards to see if you need an alignment, and most shops can't align a car when its droped that much....or at least they say they cant w/out C&C plates.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:23 PM
ibeeskeef
2nd Gear Member

I plan on going with the pro-kit myself, but I have a quick question. The pro-kit should lower my convert. about 1.5" all the way around. Everyone says that if you go more than 1.5" you should get c&c plates. I would rather not get them now because my car budget is tight. Once I put the springs on how will I know if I need to get c&c plates later? Will the ride quality just suck really bad or will the tires wear in odd spots or what?

Also, this may be a newbie question, but I will ask anyway. How do you know what adjustments to make on the plates in order to get the best ride quality? I could throw a set of plates on the car but I have never needed them before so making adjustments on them is going to be new to me. How do you know what adjustments to make?

Quick Reply: question on lowering springs