4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Looking for more horsepower.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 10:40 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Default Looking for more horsepower.

I got my car dynoed i made 275rwhp and 292rwtq. I want more. I really want to break 300rwhp. I bought underdrive pullies but I cant install them because I stripped some threads on my crank, so thats out of the question until I get a new short black. I dont want nitrous or supercharger yet, or I dont want an offroad pipe. What do you think it will take to make it? Or I dont want to port the heads yet. What do you think it will take? I was thinking mabye going to a smaller diameter CAI will help, I have heard 85mm MAF is way to big. Also do you think an intake manifold like the P-51 or bullit will do it? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:47 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Looking for more horsepower.

I don't think you can get much horsepower out of it, unless you go with nitrous, blower, or ported heads. You are close the max bolt on limit. Not much else you can do.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:50 PM
black01gt
2nd Gear Member

you can fix those threads on your crank, Get a Tap and Dye set.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:52 PM
G2000T
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Matts00GT

I don't think you can get much horsepower out of it, unless you go with nitrous, blower, or ported heads. You are close the max bolt on limit. Not much else you can do.

yea hes right, the only thing u can do is get a non catted x or h instead of the catted system for hp and do some weight reduction, get drag springs and radials. that will give u a better 1/4 thats about it. if u want more power your going to have to go with a sc and/or nitrous. im in your same position, im trying to get my car to run low 13s maybe high 12s with out a sc or nitrous.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: G2000T

ORIGINAL: Matts00GT

yea hes right, the only thing u can do is get a non catted x or h instead of the catted system for hp and do some weight reduction, get drag springs and radials. that will give u a better 1/4 thats about it. if u want more power your going to have to go with a sc and/or nitrous. im in your same position, im trying to get my car to run low 13s maybe high 12s with out a sc or nitrous.
Well I dont really car about my 1/4 mile times, I have never been to the track so I dont even know what it runs. I just want my car in the 300rwhp zone. Eventually I will buy a forged short block and ported heads and I will do it all at once. But not now, I dont have the money for that. I know the P-51 intake manifold flows better than the stock intake manifold with the stock plenum and TB. But I havent seen a compairison with the p-51 vs stock manifold with like accufab plenum and TB.

Also I heard that the high flow cats are so advanced now that I only lose about 1-3hp by having cats. Really not worth it to me if thats the case, I like the sound with cats, I dont like the raspiness with out the cats.

I could tap my crank, but I would have to drill out out and tap it with a larger bolt. But ford uses metric with about everything and its very hard for me to find a metric grade 10.9 bolt. Plus thats kinda risky, I have one shot. Or I could use a helicoil, which you drill and tap with a larger side and then put new threads in and its back to the original size, but I dont think they can withstand the 65ftlbs the harmonic balancer needs. So I have been told.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:05 PM
G2000T
1st Gear Member

x pipes non catted ull get that raspy sound, h pipe non catted u wont, it will just be a deeper sound
Old 01-14-2006, 11:08 PM
black01gt
2nd Gear Member

yea they can hold 65 lbs I think.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:15 PM
black01gt
2nd Gear Member

But Yes i think the P-51 or the bullit intake will do it, Bullit was rated at 275BHP 15 more horespower gain from the intake.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:16 PM
spederman
2nd Gear Member

Its kind of wierd that each car is so much different than the next. One of my friends has the same exact mods as you except VT stage 1 cams and he dynoed at 292 rwhp. I dont really have any other ideas for you though, it seems like you pretty much have everything before going FI.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:24 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: spederman

Its kind of wierd that each car is so much different than the next. One of my friends has the same exact mods as you except VT stage 1 cams and he dynoed at 292 rwhp. I dont really have any other ideas for you though, it seems like you pretty much have everything before going FI.
Whats your friends setup? I think I have to big of a CAI which is causing the air to slow down. If I had a smaller inside diameter the air would flow faster. But to a certain point, then it would just get restrictive. I have to match the parts properly. Also my cams have a little more duration than the VT stage 1 cams, and little more lift on the intake valves. Mines a stage 1 also so that would probably be to my advantage. But do you know what your friend has, exactly?

Quick Reply: Looking for more horsepower.