4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 02:18 AM
04blkstang
1st Gear Member

Default Headers

I have about 1k to spend on headers.

My question is which one, I know i dont want shorty headers cuz of lack of gains but I dont want LT's cuz i dont want to scrap the ground, i liv ein PA lots of hills, so i have decided mid length headers would be for me. Which one to buy.....

I was thinking JBA Cat4ward Mid-length headers...but i was stuck between these and Bassani mid length, of course both ceramic coated and around 600 for them. If you have another kind then by all means share. I am also getting the matching Mid pipe, I would prefer an H-pipe for low deep sound but would go x-pipe if needed and no cats. I do have slp catback and no it will be loud as hell but thats how i want it.

I am installing with help of friends and not paying for install unless u think it would be a pain to do so cuz i heard LT's r a bitch but i duno about mid length.

and....GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!! Bettis deserves it man! Home Town Boy
Old 01-23-2006, 03:47 AM
01yellowgt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Headers

Midlengths are still going to be a pain to install.

If you are wanting the h go for jba headers and h pipe

LT>midlength>shorties
intsall difficulty shorty< midlength< LT, but are are difficult no matter how you look at it.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:46 PM
n/a_threat
2nd Gear Member

Go with Bassani Mid Lengths. Easy install because each primary is seperate, when you're done bolting them onto the engine, you just attach the collector and bolt to the mid pipe!
Old 01-23-2006, 02:55 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: n/a_threat

Go with Bassani Mid Lengths. Easy install because each primary is seperate, when you're done bolting them onto the engine, you just attach the collector and bolt to the mid pipe!
any tips for installing these? Did you have to drop the k-member or remove anything to install them? Also, do they block access to the transmission and make a clutch change more difficult?
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:33 PM
aking287
2nd Gear Member

I've always heard that mid-lengths aren't that much if any better than shorties. If your gonna spend the money on headers, get LT's. BBK says theirs only uses up 1/4 in of ground clearance. Still plenty of room unless your car is lowered ALOT.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:36 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aking287

I've always heard that mid-lengths aren't that much if any better than shorties. If your gonna spend the money on headers, get LT's. BBK says theirs only uses up 1/4 in of ground clearance. Still plenty of room unless your car is lowered ALOT.
mid lengths aren't that bad. I've seen people get very respectable gains with them. Nevertheless, long tubes seem to be the way to go for most folks who don't need to run cats. Mid-lengths go right up to the cats.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:43 PM
n/a_threat
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fallstar01

any tips for installing these? Did you have to drop the k-member or remove anything to install them? Also, do they block access to the transmission and make a clutch change more difficult?
Thanks in advance.
You might want to have a friend help you, but you can leave the k member bolted up. You will have to raise the engine a little, have to remove the starter, may or may not have to remove the oil filter (depends on how big your hands/arms are), have to remove the steering shaft. Tip: take you time, pretty straight forward install. They aren't going to be as long as lt's, I haven't done squat to my tranny but from the looks of things it shouldn't be a proplem. Also, double check for leaks. Bassani provided A+ instructions. Excellent Customer Service. I got mine ceramic coated, and they almost look chrome. IMO, best mod yet.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:13 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fallstar01

Thanks in advance.
You might want to have a friend help you, but you can leave the k member bolted up. You will have to raise the engine a little, have to remove the starter, may or may not have to remove the oil filter (depends on how big your hands/arms are), have to remove the steering shaft. Tip: take you time, pretty straight forward install. They aren't going to be as long as lt's, I haven't done squat to my tranny but from the looks of things it shouldn't be a proplem. Also, double check for leaks. Bassani provided A+ instructions. Excellent Customer Service. I got mine ceramic coated, and they almost look chrome. IMO, best mod yet.
Thanks for the help. I'm looking forward to getting them in.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:15 PM
n/a_threat
2nd Gear Member

I like 'em cause bassani makes the headers bolt right up to their mid pipe. With the headers, they give you short adapters to connect the collector to the cats. If you have any questions, go to their website, call the toll free 800 number and ask for Sheldon, he's really friendly and has a sweet gt vert. He can email you the install instructions so you can look them over.